Saturday, February 7, 2009

Friendly Breakfast


Now that I work in the Big City, (okay it's only Des Moines, so it's not that big, but hey I'm from Creston) I miss my friends! It was nice of several of them to make time to go to breakfast with me this morning. We have a fun group that evolved over several years.

I've been an early morning workout person for the past 15 years or so, ever since our local YMCA opened. I find that if I try to work out later in the day, I come up with too many excuses - "my ice cream was too cold" - stuff like that. My close friend Deb is also an early a.m. exerciser, and she introduced me to Patti, another early riser. We've been meeting 5:30ish several days a week for years.

Deb is the most disciplined person I've ever known. I'm in awe of her strength - both figuratively and in terms of her bulging muscles. She's always been a fit person, but when she turned 50, she decided to step up her workouts and eat better. She slimmed down, follows a healthy eating regimen and works out six days a week. She is the poster woman of living right and I admire her a great deal.

So the YMCA folks recognized the gem that she is and asked Deb to do an exercise class twice each week. Last year she began doing a circuit training class. It's an excellent workout and after a couple months, a cool group of women bonded over sweat and 60-second bursts of torture. This group became the breakfast club. We also do other fun stuff like bottle (and drink) wine and train for walking events.

The breakfast club meets at 6 a.m. on Wednesdays every couple weeks at S&K Cafe in Creston. S&K is a tiny place that has six tables and five stools at the counter. You can get the special - 2 eggs, hashbrowns, bacon and toast and coffee for under $5. The old men (okay they're not that much older than we are, but he, we work out) love to give us crap. And we love to give them crap back.

A couple years ago, after losing some people in my life, I vowed to try to live life each day, not just get through each day. Breakfast club helped make the workweek more rich - starting the day laughing and talking with friends is a good thing. The S&K owner/waitress, Chuck, knows who drinks coffee and who has tea and diet coke. It's so homey. So I miss this tradition! I think of them getting together as I'm heading into work at 6:15 a.m. on I-235. I know - self-pity party.

So Saturdays at 9 a.m. are a bit busier at S&K than Wednesdays at 6 a.m. We did score the good table and enjoyed a nice un-rushed breakfast. I caught up on all the gossip, and got updates on every one's families. I don't miss the workouts, though I miss being in good shape. But I sure miss my homies. I need to find new ways to enrich my new life. And to work out more.

In the meantime, more get-togethers with my friends are in order!

No comments: