Saturday, February 14, 2009

Keeping up with Amy




I see daughter Amy's blog is on her ten top college times. I had such a good 50th year (I'm 51 now) that I'll go with top times from my 50th year. Who knew 50 could be so fun!?! I'm going in the order these things happened, not by importance.

1. My birthday celebration. It was an ISU football weekend - vs. Kansas State. My good friend Jeff McFee turned 50 on that actual game day, and my bday was Sat. McKims had the RV, it was a morning game and our group's tailgate was awesome as usual, starting with Paul's fabulous BMs (Bloody Marys). We cooked something good - I think that was a McMuffin morning. Bobbie McFee, Diana McKim and I shared 1 McMuffin between us and then they were gone. I filled my new birthday flasks with chardonnay for the game. I must have the thing for Mc things...

The Cyclone surprised us by getting off to a good start! The weather was good. We we dancing in the stands - electric slide. The people behind us knew about the birthday thing and joined in our fun. The Clones won! After the game we sipped bevvies on the way home. Don McKim insisted we stop at Orient for a last drink. I switched to beer there - that's about all you can drink in Orient. When Jeff got home he had a giant wooden birthday cake in his yard that said 50. I never got stuck with that thing. Yay!

2. Marco Island. This is my favorite place in the world. Mom and Dad bought a condo there in the late 1980's, and when Dad my sisters and I became the owners. In January of 2008 we got an offer and sold it, reluctantly. (Man was that a good decision as the things are worth much less today). Part of the sales agreement was that we got to use it one more time. So husband Paul, and sisters Cindy and Susi met there in early April. Daughter Amy even got to visit for a few days. Weather, check; beach/pool, check; Coronas and lemondrop martinis, check. The perfect week!

3. Family reunion, Cannon Beach, Oregon. Sister Betsy lives in SE Washington state, and has vacationed at a beach in Oregon nearly every year for the past ten years or more with her family - husband Wayne and five (count 'em) kids. She had arranged our last reunion with cousins both sides of my family in 2002 there. We loved it.

So this time it was June 2008, and just the Bullock Girls with all spouses and kids, except Colby Lefebvre who had to work. We flew into Portland and Susi/Jim, Cindy/Bolder and Paul and I spent night one with my cousin Leslie and her husband Bob. The ride there was wild - lots of wrong turns. Leslie and Bob are wonderful hosts. Wine was served along with lots of gourmet food. Good stuff.

The next day sisters headed an hour west to the Beach and Paul and I visited my high school/college friend Sally who moved to Portland a couple years ago from Cedar Rapids. It was fun to see where she lives and see her family. Then we headed West as well. By then Susi's girls, Leslie and Jordan Alvillar appeared. Betsy and her boys arrived in their Suburban. Our kids Amy and Jud didn't show up until the next day when Wayne and daughter Sarah flew in from his niece's wedding and met them at the airport. Cousin Leslie and Bob came for a few days and we spent time beach walking - it was brisk there, but beautiful. Everyone got along great. I have a cool family!

I've got to go attend to laundry and actually get something accomplished today. So more on this tomorrow!

No comments: