Sunday, January 15, 2012

One week to go

One week to go of my usual schedule. After tomorrow's Martin Luther King Holiday, it will be a short week too. Tick, tick. I'm sure Pablo is more nervous about it than I am. After all, he's going to be doing a whole different job, while I'm just changing schedules and roommates.

I feel uneasy about leaving my nice room and bed and Joan's house. What if someone else wants to live there? I'll lose my spot! When I first moved in with Joan, her niece Krissy lived there, and she had laid claim to the downstairs bedroom. As the new kid, and only a part timer, I took the spare bed downstairs in the "living room" area. And was very grateful to get that.

I started my job in December 2008, a very cold winter. It was quite chilly by the window in my bed. I'd sleep with longjohns and socks on most nights. Yes, the bedroom and its large bed and closer bathroom access is much preferable. But...if Joan get another roomie while I'm gone - so be it.

My usual schedule has me leaving Joan's at 6 a.m. to start work at 6:30 a.m. (while it's still very quiet in cubicle-land in the Wallace Building), working until 5:00 p.m. most days. And I'm used to coming home to Creston on Thursdays - leaving work around 3 PM that day to head south. Some Thursday nights, I've had book club.

Then, on Fridays I work a few hours where I'm sitting right now - in my chair. I get work stuff done without the distraction of, well...work. My Fridays in Creston give me some flexibility to run errands, have medical appointments - stuff like that. And go to lunch with my spouse. It's been pretty convenient. But all that is changing, temporarily anyway. I'll stay in DSM through Friday with Paul.

Paul and I hope to leave one car here and drive to DSM together - saving $ on our commute. We're going to have a housesitter. A big burly guy named Bruno who knows jujitsu and has lots of weapons. So if you're reading this and plan to rob our home - forget about it! The kitty will stay here too - so she'll hiss at you - it's very scary.

In the meantime, Pablo and I are off tomorrow to look at a couple furnished downtown lofts. Here's a link to one. Ours would be furnished, so we wouldn't worry about that. It's been a dream of mine to live like this. But not really Paul's. So how fun to give it a "test drive".
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/301-E-Court-Ave-207-Des-Moines-IA-50309/2146751676_zpid/

The lofts probably won't be available right away, so we'll be calling Embassy Suites home for a couple weeks.

Pablo and Leslie's Big Adventure. Let's hope we don't knock over some bad-ass bikers' row of Harleys. (like Pee Wee did in his adventure).

No comments: