Thursday, January 12, 2012

HP

I picked up a new HP laptop computer for Pablo the poolboy today. He had been using my old Dell from 2007 - so it was 5 years old. What's that in laptop years? Do they age like pets, so many years for each one? Poor thing - I think the fan was giving out and it was overheating. I shopped around in DSM this week and got a great bargain. He doesn't need anything too fancy - pretty much all he does is surf the Net on it, and log his hunting information.

I started thinking back to our first computer. We bought it about 1994 - when I worked for Mike Moffitt at Cornerstone Financial. When I worked for Mike, I got my first experience working with a desktop computer, and man - I was hooked! Paul and I bought a computer at Best Buy - and it had something wrong with it, so we took it back right away and got another one. The kids were mad because the second one didn't have as many games. Computers were big bucks back then - and we had to get a Best Buy card so we could get their 6 months same a cash deal so we could pay it off.

Remember the computer games of the mid 90s? They came on floppy disks and were so basic. Jill of the Jungle was one game we (Amy, Jud and I) got hooked one. There was another one where King Kong threw bananas. Those games were addicting!

I had to learn DOS back then. Loading software was so much harder than it is today. All those little diskettes. Computers seemed to last longer back then too. But who could have imagined something as powerful as a droid mobile phone at my fingertips all the time, back in the day of the giant desktop.

I've got my work cut out for me tomorrow - getting rid of all the pre-loaded crap on the new HP. Loading antivirus software, getting the new guy all set up for my baby. I could have paid $129 or so for Office Max to do it. But this way he owes me! Or...I can think of it as a way to pay him back for all the nice stuff he does for me.

No comments: