Monday, January 16, 2012

Double Ds are my enemy

No not those Double Ds. You may recall that one year ago, I took the step of joining Weight Watchers. We had just enough people for a group meeting in the Wallace Building at lunchtime on Mondays. I know - tough day for a weigh in! But I was motivated, so it worked.

I was tired of the extra flab around my middle and hips and wanted to several pounds - to get back to my fighting weight. More importantly, I wished to learn to eat more healthy foods - to be more mindful of what I was putting into my body. While not good at dieting on my own, I performed well in the framework of the Weight Watchers system. I utilized the on-line software, tracking everything I ate and stuck religiously to the points allowed. That was really pretty easy during the week while in DSM.

The weekends were another deal altogether, but with Weight Watchers, one is allowed extra points to use anytime during the week. So I would hoard the extra points for weekends. Note - liquor is a quick point user. So I had to watch that - one lemondrop martini is a gazillion points. Most Mondays I was pleased with the result when I stepped on that scale. Once the sixteen weeks of our DNR Weight Watchers program were up, and I had hit my goal weight I felt really good about it.

Of course...spring came, and I slipped into my old habit of less healthy eating. But I kept an eye on the scale - and stayed in a good range for me. For months.
Duffy roll - only in Denver

Until this holiday season. When holiday foods killed me. Food days at work. I got lax about checking my weight.

And the two main culprits that I'm blaming - Double Ds.

Denver Duffy Rolls and Dunkin' Donuts in NYC. They put me over the top. Now I'm heavier than I've been, well since a year ago. I need to lose about 4-5 pounds to get back to a good weight for me. Those pounds aren't exactly slipping away now that I'm back to my normal - non-donut diet either. Donut weight is hard to take off!
Dunkin' right onto my ass - I prefer Dunkin's chocolate cake donut

The worst part of my gluttony at Christmas? Now I need to detox. One year ago, I did so well at taking sugar out of my diet. I got over my craving for the stuff. Now it's BACK with a vengeance. It's amazing how that works. So now...to cut the craving again - BE STRONG!

And another thing...I admit it, I've not been great about working out this winter. That head cold I had post-NYC didn't help. My Wii called to me several times this weekend, and I did walk on the treadmill at Joan's twice last week. Yay me. Paul and I will need to get on a workout routine with our new living situation. The donut pounds will be stubborn.

Healthy eating? Gotta break out the Weight Watchers cookbook. All it takes is time - something my lazy butt needs to get motivated to invest. I'm excited to shop for food in DSM. Whole Foods opens this year sometime, and Trader Joes in WDM is great. Plus all the usual stores - HyVee, Super Targer, Dahls all carry many interesting foods. So no excuses there. Here's our chance! Another challenge will be eating healthy at restaurants.

How did you do at staying healthy over the holidays? Better than Jud I hope!

Jud - chubby
Jud's girlfriend Kara posted this photo of him from one of those apps that helps you make someone look chubby. She says - from Culver's - someone had too many Butterburgers! Lucky he and Kara eat healthy much of the time.

What Jud really looks like...

I don't want to be obsessed by food. I like to eat to live - not the other way around! Wish me luck.


No comments: