Sunday, January 22, 2012

Annual Holiday Gathering

The title makes it sound formal, don't it? (My salute to Bugs Bunny talk).

Last Friday was our Annual Holiday Exercise Group get-together - held once again at Susan's lovely home. Everyone but Linda made it. She was just getting back from a Vegas trip with Mick, so she was marked down as "excused".

We each brought food, wine (or in may case an alternative bev - since wine isn't my friend) and a white elephant gift. I don't often get to have lots of time with my buddies, since I no longer exercise with the group. Though I get to see Diana, Bobbie and Deb quite a bit - I usually only see Pat, Nancy, Patti, Lucy, Susan and Linda at our breakfasts on alternate Mondays. So I value my time with this wonderful bunch of ladies a lot.

I had picked up a few interesting looking foods at Trader Joe's. Skinny Fries - air popped and low guilt. They were pretty tasty. Also fat free spicy bean dip and some chips to go with those. I couldn't go totally no-fat, so I got baklava. I wasn't quite as good as the fresh stuff I purchase at Holy Spirit's annual International Food Fair, but not bad.

We chatted, and laughed - and commiserated about aging. And laughed. What else can one do? The alternative is worse! It's so nice to have a group of peers to relate to - at each age of your life. When I was raising children, we talked about the trials and tribulations of that. Aging parents. Check. Female problems? Check. Nice to know I'm not going down this trail alone - and these are some magnificent chicks to trot down the trail to the old folk's home with. Girlfriends are a "must have" as one travels the ups and downs life throws at us.

When Diana got back from the girl's basketball game (son Ryan is Assistant Coach - temporarily, as he's heading back to Ames to be a grad assistant for Coach Paul Rhoads and the ISU Cyclones), we decided to open the White Elephant gifts. It was great entertainment as you can see from the pictures.
Deb explains why she "recycled" the top Susan has on
Lucy and Nancy guard the gifts
Nancy embellished my "new" top from Patti with tissue
Ugliest snowman ever?
After the party, we headed to A&G where we plugged the jukebox and danced all by ourselves. A few people looked in to see what was happening. And then they steered clear and let us do our thing. Our husbands (Paul, Jeff and Donnie) sent back a couple shots. Red headed sluts, and Oatmeal Cookies. Deb put us through a few exercise moves. One lonely looking girl decided to join us - and we gladly took her in.
Ladies in Black - Deb, Nancy, Susan, Diana
The whole gang

Later we stopped at the Lobby with Paul and Jeff for just one more. That place was hopping! Then Paul and I headed home about midnight - late for us old folks! It was a good time with good friends. 

No comments: