Saturday, January 7, 2012

Movin' on up

The text message I received from Paul Tuesday came out of the blue. It said something like this: "Zimprich (his supervisor) called they want to detail me to DSM for 3 months talk more tonight" Yikes! That wasn't much to go on! Why, what, how? I had so many questions. But we were both working - I in my cubicle where everyone all around could hear everything I said. So I waited.

That night he called after my roomie Joan and I had taken time to catch up about our Christmas breaks. Paul and I made small talk first about how our days went and other current events...avoiding the elephant.

Then he explained. His supe, Jeff Zimprich, who is the Area Conservationist, will be going to Illinois to serve as the State Conservationist for 3-4 months. While he's gone, an Assistant State Conservationist will go to Atlantic to get some field experience - filling in for Jeff. That leaves an opening at the State NRCS Office. The State Con thought of Paul for that opening, knowing that I work and live in DSM. Paul had one day to decide whether or not to accept the offer. I said "Go for it!" He agreed - to exciting an offer to turn down.

There are many things to consider:
  • Paul - his staff and work, and our home in Creston - even though we plan to go home on weekends. Where would we live and how much will they pay for living expenses.
  • For me - what about my roomie deal with Joan? Paul will have to work in DMS on Fridays - should I still go home to Creston Thursdays? Will we like living together fulltime?
  • And for both of us -  about our pets - Odie the wiener and Kitty, the decrepit 18 year old feline. The mail, the trash, making sure the house is okay. Stuff like that.

It's so exciting though - a chance to live together, maybe close to downtown. I'd love it if I could walk to work! We can have our cake and eat it too - big city life and Creston on weekends. He can "test drive" what a job in the State Office might be like. I hope we can find a pet-friendly place.

No comments: