Friday, April 29, 2011

Life is so good

My book homies came through again - even though I didn't get the book read. This month's selection was "Life Is So Good", recommended to me in January by my masseuse, a magician with her hands and a good book recommender! 

I didn't want to take a library book with me to Florida. (I know waa waa - play the little violin). So I just got it last Saturday - and I was already in the middle of a good book. I did take "Life" along to DSM with me this week, but only read about half.

Our book club - Book Chicks, meets once a month. Thea, mostly permanent hostess with the mostess. It was a small group last night, but even so, meetings are always a bit like therapy for my little own self! We laugh, we tell about personal experiences and talk about our hopes and fears. Stuff I don't get to do much in DSM during the week.

When Deb and I got there, we let one of Thea's trio of dogs out first thing! I couldn't remember her name to call her back to the house. (It's Mitzi but I was calling her Oreo - who has unfortunately passed on to the big doghouse in the sky). When Oreo was alive, I always called her Hydrox (they were much tastier in my view). After a bit, I tracked her down and returned her to the menagerie with her 2 doggie sissies.

In attendance were Diane, Vidette, Francie, Deb and me. I was lucky (thanks Google) to come up with a list of questions for the book. Life is about a black man who lived to be over 100, yet didn't learn to read until he was 98 or something (I didn't get to that part yet in my reading). Frankly, I was enjoying the book, but it wasn't gripping so was willing to give up on finishing - but the gang urged me to complete it. They enjoyed it.

George, the hero of the story (it's a true story) is to be much admired. I couldn't help but think about one of our club members as I read the book. Vidette is a black woman - originally from South Carolina, married to a white man who teaches at SWCC. What must it feel like to be black in Creston, Iowa? I wondered how reading about the racism and unfairness would feel to her. It wasn't as if anything in the book was "new" material, but still it had to hurt.

I told her as much. It's really the first opportunity I've ever had to discuss racism with an African American. Vidette is an interesting person - she'll um "call a spade a spade" Can I say that? haha We had a good discussion. She said she took a great deal from Life is So Good. A lesson in turning the other cheek. George was so calm. Vidette is going to try to practice this in dealing with people who don't treat her right for whatever reason. We can all use a bit of that lesson - though we also had the discussion about how as we've all aged, our "mufflers" have rusted out and we speak up more when we feel wronged.

I myself try not to be racist, but was raised in a town that was 99% white. Sometimes it takes effort not to resort to old thought habits. I wish skin color didn't even register with me. Maybe someday it won't. I wish I was less judgemental.

The questions about the book were really questions about us - like if you had a book in you, what would it be about? After we finished the questions, we laughed and talked as usual. I love those ladies!

No comments: