Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The friendly skies - gettin' you there

The trip TO Florida was a nightmare. United Airlines sucks - they couldn't get a plane to Des Moines until 3 hours late so we missed our original flight out of Chicago to Fort Myers. Then there were huge storms in Charlotte, where the next flight we could get out of Chi-town to Fort Myers originated. Argh!

Saving grace. I went into suck up mode in Chicago, as we had to switch from United to US Airlines. We ran through the airport because again United staff was not helpful to us. The tram Nazi put the fear of God in me when I stepped over the line to go down the stairs to the tram to the proper terminal for our flight we thought we were late to. Turned out due to the storms, the flight was late. After I played nice, Paul (Mr. Not-As-Nice) got the back row and I got row 5. The guy in my seat asked if I'd like to sit in 1st Class - Row 2. Would I!

So I got bumped to "rich girl" status - and we sat on the tarmac for an hour awaiting storm passage in Charlotte. First I had a cranberry juice. Then I had another with vodka - FREE! It was awesome. Made me wish I were rich all the time...sigh. In Charlotte we hustled right to our next flight and didn't arrive in Fort Myers until nearly 2 a.m. Cindo had called it a night and we needed to rent a car. My bag arrived but Paul's didn't.

We pulled into my beloved Gulfview around 4 a.m. Cindo let us in. Paul had some wine. He slept in his undies. I was glad to have my bag. Vacation had arrived. Paul's bag arrived that evening.

No comments: