Monday, September 21, 2009

Alternative L&P

Tomorrow night we're finally going to meet Alternative Leslie and Paul! After all these years of knowing about each other - at least we knew of them since one of their kids was born and my HS buddy Candice sent me a clipping announcing the birth. I'll report on how it went. I'm thinking the event is really worthy of a DM Register Lifestyles section. haha

I just reconnected with Candice on non-other than Facebook. I know many people just aren't into it. I totally understand that attitude. And I was a lil shy about signing up at first - after all I had been a Facebook Stalker - using Amy's password to check out her college friends ever since she went away to school. But I'm an old lady - why would I get on FB?

Then my sis Bets joined, and friended (it's a verb in FB lingo) both my kids. I thought heck, if they'll be friends with her, why not me? It was a little weird for nephew Colby (little did he know, I'd been checking out his page for years as Amy), so I'm not his buddy anymore. Nor am I Jud's friend since posting some baby pics of his (he was so adorable) that his friends laughed at.

But my other nieces and nephews tolerate me. The older ones with kids can't hardly find time to get one there - understandable! But empty nesters like me have the time. I enjoy looking at everyone's photos.

When Candice friended me I was able to see her photos - when you post photos, you can indicate just who can see them. People who are not on your friend list can't see them, besides a tiny shot of your main photo showing who you are. Some people don't ever put their pic on there.

I've connected with several long lost friends on FB. Mostly Atlantic classmates, and others from nearby classes. Mona Jones and I were once bestest buddies, until I went to college. She is a class behind and decided to try U of Iowa, before going to nursing school closer to Atlantic. Mona is one of the funniest, wittiest people I know. We were mean girls together!

Anyways, Candice lived only a couple blocks from me in the 'ol neighborhood. I'd stop and pick her up (this was back when we walked to and from school) so we didn't have to walk to school alone. By junior high that was important! It was at Candice's house, out back during a student council dance that I experienced my first kiss - Jack Bunce. Hmm that sounded kinda like a Clue guess. It was out back by the driveway with Jack's lips!

That was after Robyn (yes the same Robbie Dob) said that Greg Younger had kissed her. But then she found out he didn't want her to tell, so she rescinded it. But it was too late - by then I'd been kissed too. Alas, later that year Jack threw me over for someone who had made the cheerleading squad. (cheerleading was our only option as sports didn't start in our school until 10th grade).

Candice's parents bought her sister this cool old car, so when it was cold out, Claudia would give us a ride. One wintry day on slick streets near my house we got in a minor fender bender in the car. When Candice got her license, she drove a cool something like '62 Chevy.

Betsy took piano lessons from Candice at some point - we must have been in high school. Not sure why Bets got out of lessons with Mrs. Sandhorst like the rest of us had to suffer through. I still know how to play Skip to My Lou. Beat that Betso!

I know this blog rambled. Sorry - think of it as an exercise in free flowing thought.

2 comments:

amy e. goldsmith said...

i like free flowing thought. can't remember what that term in relation to writing is tho. so about to meet the other l&pg?! how exciting. i hope it isn't too twilight-zoney.

Thea said...

I loved this one. Maybe my mind is rambling and dis-jointed. haha I'm sure that's true.