Monday, September 28, 2009

Awww Poo

Someone I love is manning up and heading to Greater Community Hospital tomorrow for a medical test. Pablo, beloved Pool Boy is having a colonoscopy as part of his medical screening. He's not 50 anymore ya know.

It's a first for him, while I, as you know, due to my penchant for oversharing, recently had a hysterectomy. That required a bowel cleansing routine which almost resulted in a "shart"! Through the years had a few other medical procedures that required cleansing of one's bowels. Yep, it's pretty icky, but it can be a light and breezy feeling once you're "cleansed".

I don't recall why I had a barium enema once, but pooping white stuff for a couple hours post procedure wasn't fun. Paul is presently drinking a half gallon of that icky clear stuff, and taking laxative pills. Why is it so easy to drink large quantities of beer, but that stuff is hard to choke down? They both can make you poop...

I'm so glad Paul is not one of those men who refuse to take charge of their own health. He makes his own appointment for a complete physical each year. And this year he pulled the trigger on this procedure, unpleasant as it is. His older bro had a colonoscopy last week and discovered precancerous polyps. Good thing Paul was already on the surgical schedule. I do not respect a guy who thinks he's less than macho if he goes to the Doc. It's not a sign of weakness - it's a sign of strength! (even though I'm chuckling at his frequent flyer mileage on the pot this evening..)

My roomie in Waukee, Joanie, lost a love of her life, her fiance Kevin to colon cancer back around 1990 or '91. He was only in his early 30's. I'm glad Paul and I got to meet Kevin when we all went on a skiing trip to Colorado. Joan, Kevin, Mendy, Dennis, Bobbie, Jeff, Moose, Kay and us. I'm sorry Joanie never got to marry Kevin back then. Life goes on, but one always wonders what her life would be like now if...

3 comments:

Ramona I. Lynam said...

Like you, I am glad Budbo is also one of those men who takes charge of his own health. He had a colonoscopy a week ago. He has had to have one every couple of years for the last 15 or so years. Better that & keeping on top of possible colon cancer than ignoring it until too late.
I've had my share of those scopes and know first hand how icky drinking that stuff is. Seems worse to drink than having it come out.
Good luck tomorrow.

amy e. goldsmith said...

wow thanks for this blog...read it while eating dinner. bad decision.

lgold said...

You'll be happy to know he came out "clean" - doesn't need a recheck for 5 years. But...stay tuned - my turn next! Not until next year though...