Saturday, September 19, 2009

Music (Part deux)

Music has continued to be a big part of my life - even beyond my youth. One post-college memory I have is driving to my new job in Sioux Falls, SD listening to Ride Like the Wind on a Christopher Cross cassette. Yeah, he was pretty much a one hit wonder, but it sure was a good one.

My time in Omaha reminds me of a couple artists - Steve Winwood - Valerie, and Jackson Brown - Tender. Good tunes in a good town. Then when Pablo and I got married, we invested in a new stereo - with a turntable and big speakers. When we lived in Council Bluffs I remember hauling old albums down to the dumpster. Duh, what were we thinking? We could have recycled them later in life.

Next move, Osage, Iowa. I'm pregnant and we're thinking of baby names. Andrew (Drew for a boy, and hmmm Lindsay for a girl? Nope we decide on Amy out of the blue. So I immediately purchase Pure Prairie League's album featuring the song Aimee (What chu gonna do?). I still like that song - despite the funky spelling.

Our music has also greatly influenced our children's tastes (but don't tell 'em). Fleetwood Mac, Doobies, Steely Dan, EWF (Earth Wind and Fire). And don't forget Michael Jackson - I used to boogie with the kids to Thriller. Those were the MTV years - remember when they used to play actual music with videos instead of all the reality crap they show now?

When Amy and Jud were little we listened to a lot of kids music - Disney Tunes and Amy's fave - the Elephant Show - Sharon, Lois and Bram, who sang all the old folk songs - Shoe Fly Pie, Jimmy Crack Corn. Plus the Disney Soundtracks - is Lion King the best musical ever?

The Patrick was born and died - and I went through my Christian Artist period - Amy Grant, Michael W Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman. I liked all of them. Along with Mary Chapin Carpenter - my fave of hers is This Old Shirt and the song about Haley's Comet. Got to see her in concert in Ames.

Bruce Hornsby was my next love. Remember when you could join one of those music clubs and get 10 or so cassettes for free (pay only shipping and handling and agree to buy 6 more in the next year at inflated prices). I mostly got my fave oldies previously mentioned. And then I did the same with CDs.

Until the free online music years. I must admit, I did take advantage of some of those free tunes. I justified it by telling myself I'd already purchased many of those tunes in 3 other formats! I loved getting just my fave songs - without all those flip side songs. But I still feel today's listeners are missing loving the songs that aren't on the radio, as I used to when I purchased albums. I nearly always found a new fave song that was never a popular success.

Who do I listen to today? My most recent purchases are Dave Matthews albums - after a short Van Morrison crush. I like U2 also. Just saw the Bruce Hornsby has a new disc - can't wait to hear that one. Amy burned a CD for me of various artists and songs and I love it - mainly because she made it for me.

Music makes our lives much richer - I'm a rich girl. (and I've gone too far but I know it don't matter anyway).

A couple I forgot from my last music blog. In college, when Vic and I would go to bed at night, we'd load my stereo up with 3 or 4 albums to go to sleep to. Gordy Lightfoot, Hall and Oates, Dan Fogelberg, and yes, thanks to Vic Barry Manilow. Abandoned Luncheonette, Netherlands, Best of Gordy.

No comments: