Friday, September 4, 2009

The Clones

The Clones won last night - their first game in 10 that they've come out with a W. And the fan base heaved out a collective sigh of relief.

Yeah it was only against a 1AA Team North Dakota State University. And the Cyclones didn't really blow the Bison out. It was close all throughout the game until the last quarter. But Iowa State is a team that lost to UNI and other somewhat less than stellar teams during the last 3 years.

A huge crowd of some 45,000 fellow masochistic fans were at the game. We all pay for the privilege of cheering for the Cyclones, heartbreaking as it can be. But that just makes the victories that much sweeter.

No matter what the score, we always have a good time tailgating. Last night I rode up to the game from DM in the RV with Dee, Don and Todd, our walking wounded who had spent the morning visiting an orthropod. So by 2 PM we were sitting in the parking lot in the sunshine, having a beverage. Pablo the Poolboy and Jeff caught up with us a bit later after delivering furniture to Kimmy.

Later, others began to trickle in - our neighbor Marilyn with Philsy and his gf. Sharon and Al showed up with brownies to go along with HyVee chicken, potato salad & deviled eggs (Dee) and I served up the usual cookies.

Our bouncing baby boy appeared with 8 or so friends, ready for the Coors Light we'd packed. And they did like the food. Jud introduced me to several of his buddies - some were even girls. I noticed his hair was now styled - with the gel we picked up last time he was home. It looked good. He looked good.

It was a fun night. Until the drive home - which was torture thanks to the DOT's decision to work on I-80/35 that night - narrowing 3 lanes to 1 and making 8 miles take 45 extra minutes. I was glad to get home at 1:30 a.m. My bed, my pets and my snoring spousal unit next to me.

No comments: