Thursday, September 10, 2009

While I was away...


Alright I wasn't really away - I just don't have my Dell. Anyhoo, this week I got together with Robbie Dob. She was in DSM after a visit with her mommy and step pop in Atown. We got together for lunch Tuesday near her motel. Of course it wasn't really a long enough time to talk!

You may recall Robbie Dob is a childhood friend - we're talking the Wayback Machine (remember that on the Bullwinkle show?). We've known each other for some 48 years or so. Gosh that sounds downright elderly! Oh well we wear it well!

Robyn spent a few days with her mom and Tom, who are getting on in years. Jeez they're some of the few parents left of the 'ol gang. They've been married so long I don't always remember that their marriage caused somewhat of a scandal as two marriages broke up back when few people divorced.

The divorce was very hard on Robyn who was around 13 at the time and Karla who is 4 years older. It must have sucked to be dragged from the home they grew up in to live an apartment with their mom and Tom. Their dad got his own place and never remarried.

The divorce caused lots of hard feelings with our parents (the Atlantic peeps) who all took sides. I don't think my mom spoke to Jody for years. This turned out to be convenient when I was in high school, as I could tell Mom and Dad I was staying all night with Robyn when I really meant Sally's BF Robin (along with Sal and my BF Mike). I knew Mom wasn't calling Robyn's house to check up on me if it meant perhaps speaking to Jody!

The marriage between Jody and Tom really seemed to work though. And after years went by, people forgave and forgot. They were again accepted by everyone at "the Club". I think if that had all happened today, people would have gotten over it much more quickly.

Even so, Robyn did well to adjust to her new life. She split time between her mom's fab homes in rural Atown, and her dad's upstairs apartment (he had Playboy - we peeked). Her dad had the life he wanted I think - girlfriends but no wife. Stepdad Tom had his own fam - who moved away to the East Coast when their mother remarried, but one daughter came back to Atown during high school. Rob is close to them all today.

Tom was one of my Dad's oldest friends. He called dad "Bullock". They went fishing nearly every year - even when they turned into the "Grumpiest Old Men". Tom was a pilot and the last time they went to Canada he didn't file a flight plan and security rushed out the greet the plane - but it was just a few old guys and they let 'em go!

So Rob and I had lunch and a couple hugs - it will need to be enough to tide me over. Remind me to tell you about her Match.com experience - it's a hoot! I value her friendship a great deal. I'm a lucky gal!

2 comments:

Thea said...

let's hear the match. com story!!

lgold said...

She began a back and forth - emails and then phone with a guy who seemed pretty nice. So they agreed to meet for a drink at a place Rob is comfy in. They order drinks and an appe and when the waitress leaves they guy says (this is last winter) "What do you think of that jigaboo we just elected?" She said you racist and tossed down a $10 and left!