Sunday, September 27, 2009

My body is a temple














Above - High Life Lounge post Wicked. Note Hamms sign above the dude in the background behind Sharon.
And this past weekend, I trashed and polluted that temple. Argh! It's not like I'm 40 or even 50 anymore...I can't take the abuse like I used to. It started Friday. Can you say "hello weekend!" I came home Thursday after another big week of work - culminating with my presentation I blogged about recently.

I worked at home Friday a.m. - Paul made a big breakfast, featuring an egg over easy and fried in bacon grease. Not my fave way to have an egg, but hey, I wasn't cooking. Hash browns, toast and one slice o bacon. But not my usual work-a-day breakfast of cereal and blueberries. Then I didn't ever eat lunch - awaiting Pablo's return from putting up tree stands. We took off for DM mid-afternoon, for a bit of shopping before meeting Bobbie and Jeff at Joan's (my home away from home in Waukee) prior to our foray downtown for Wicked - the musical.

I broke out some cheese and crax at Joan's and got out my stash of wine - 1 box of chardonnay that P and I shared. We headed for the Savory at 6 PM to meet Dee, Donnie, Sharon and Al for a bit of food and drink prior to the play. Ummm 2 lemondrop martinis later and half a sandwich we headed to the Civic Center. Lemondrops are my friend, but they have a tenancy to sneak up on me well after being ingested. I discovered my seat had a tenancy to spin like an amusement park ride when I shut my eyes. It was quite a ride - in conjunction with the fabulous set of Wicked. I didn't feel too hammered besides the spinning thing though - no crazy drunk talk or vomiting. The musical was good - not great IMHO. But I'm a Frank L Baum purist (he's the author of all the Oz series that I read as a child). The plot is weak. Acting and music excellent.

After Wicked, we headed to a fun bar called High Life Lounge. Decorated in early bowling alley! Complete with my fave evah Hamm's beer sign, though the one there didn't rotate like it should. I drank a couple beers - though Miller not Schlitz or Hamms. On the way home, Jeff was hungry so we drove thru Burger King (slim pickins at 12:30 a.m.). Gut bomb, but good. Dropped off to sleep in like a minute.

On Saturday a.m. we headed back downtown to the Farmer's Market where we partook in a fab breakfast burrito - thin wrap, eggs, sausage, cheese, salsa, hash browns, sour cream. Yum! Plus half a dutch letter. Then off to Ames for the game. And my downfall. It seems when I tailgate, I am too lazy to eat much. Bloody Marys fill me up or somethin. Good thing we took time to walk across the tailgating area to meet Jud's roomie's parents. A nice break in partaking of alcohol.

After the game - ISU won by the way and it was a wonderful day of tailgating and football watching - I did have a hamburger. And hydrated! By the time we got home at midnight, I had acid stomach. A couple Maalox helped! And I was out like a light once again. This morning Paul and I walked 6+ miles which helped me get on the road to temple recovery.

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

i love getting back to temple recovery after the weekend. yoga and tea are my favorite cures.