Sunday, November 2, 2014

He's my Handy Man

A couple months ago Paul and I attended "Team Building", the Thursday after work gathering of federal and former fed NRCS workers. They meet for beverages at local establishments and shoot the breeze. Sometimes the DNR director even shows up...so I'm on best behavior when I go! That last time I attended, we learned that several of them were going to attend the James Taylor Concert November 1. Gary was in charge of getting tickets. We were IN. I'd never seen one of my all time fave musicians live.

I've loved JT, well forever. This week before the concert I kept thinking about one particular song - from the first James Taylor Album I ever purchased, "Handy Man." sweet song - young James

I was a lifeguard at Sunnyside Pool in Atlantic when that song came out. And I had to have it! It was one of those songs. You couldn't hear it on the radio enough - must own! I likely buzzed over to Omaha on my day off from protecting the world's children from drowning to purchase it - on the album JT. He had hair then. And mine was a semi afro...

I'd kinda had my heart broken that summer. That spring I'd met a guy at ISU. He seemed very interested in me. We'd been to each other's spring parties. As school wound down and I was studying for finals and starting to pack to head home for the summer, he sent a dozen red roses to me. I mistakenly thought that meant we were something! Then that summer, nothing. I wrote to him - with no response. Good thing my fab Sunnyside friends were there to distract me with parties and fun...

Sigh. Still I needed a song like Handy Man! I didn't know then there was a Paul Goldsmith in my future...a real Handy Man. Funny - a few years later, when I was married, Paul and I went out with a couple in Council Bluffs - and I found out the other gal had also dated this fella. At the same time I had! Cad. He prolly sent her flowers too.

James Taylor has a timeless voice. He told of signing his first record deal thanks to the Beatles in 1968. Look who is still touring and going strong at age 66. While he might not have the zing star power of the Beatles...he certainly has some iconic songs. I purchased the Best of James Taylor as a cassette and then a CD. Now he's on my iPod.

I like the "Steamroller" naughty version thank you! I remember listening to that with the kids in the car and thinking, "I hope they don't learn those words and sing "mfing blues" in front of somebody someday...".

Paul and I began our evening by meeting some longtime friends for supper and a drink downtown first. I had decided not to attend the ISU home game - thinking the chilly weather wouldn't be pleasant for my shoulder. Shivering and scar tissue - ouch (it's slowly getting better)! Painful ugly loss - ouch. I'm glad I didn't go to the game. It's been a long time since we've had a night out!

Deb and Larry Peterson met us at Three Olives (used to be The Standard). It was fun to spend some time with friends. We got the update on the big embezzlement scandal at a car dealership in Creston. Unreal. How do people think they'll get away with that? I feel guilty if someone gives me too much change...

We walked through the skywalk to The Well. There was a nice crowd at the concert and I saw Facebook posts showing several other people I knew were there to take in this great show.

JT played all my faves, plus some songs from a new CD. He talked about how many of his songs are "tree huggerish" I heart that! He ended the first set with "Shower the People you Love with Love". If only we'd remember to live like that every single day!

JT ended the concert with a couple encores. First he got us all up out of our seats to dance to "Mexico". The set of the concert was very cool - see above. 3 big screens and those posts could show videos too. Some of the songs had videos to go with them. For Mexico...we were there!

And then, of course, "You've Got a Friend". That song has been used for so many occasions through the years. James' wife came out for the last few songs. The final one was an Irish or Scottish folk song and it was gorgeous and a beautiful way to end the evening. Life is good.



No comments: