Wednesday, November 19, 2014

PT Graduation Day

Me and my shoulder are winging it after today. I graduated from physical therapy after making my last visit this afternoon. No, my shoulder is not perfect. But the two of us are ready to go it on our own - exercising at the YMCA and at home - working to strengthen my wienie noodle arm.

I'm going to miss Christine Young-Denny MPT and the folks at Penn Physical Therapy. It's not a fancy place. I picked it two years ago when my right shoulder froze because it's close to my office - right across the freeway, near Lutheran Hospital. The people there are very friendly - especially Tammy at the front desk. She reminds me of Pat Barkalow who I had the pleasure of working with at First National Bank in Creston. A total sweetheart. And Tammy remembers everyone's name - it's amazing.

I've had a closer relationship with Christine, my physical therapist, than with most other people these past couple months. We've gotten to know each other - chatting about our lives during my treatment. Sometimes she was applying an ultrasound device to my shoulder - a comforting touch to an area that was screaming for help.

I think she also tried to distract me with chatter during times she was torturing me. It was what my surgeon called "aggressive" treatment designed to prevent my shoulder from freezing up again. I'm afraid I was a wimp at times - less than a stiff upper lip. Christine handled this situation with grace.

And sarcasm. We share a birthday and that personality trait. I enjoyed hearing stories about Christine's family. Her son is a frosh at ISU and is a former high school hockey player. Her daughter is fifteen years old and sounds like a sweetheart. I shared information about my cherubs Amy and Jud - like how happy Paul and I were to hear that Amy and Jud saw each other every week when they were both at ISU during 2007/8. Then we found out Amy was Jud and his friends' booze connection. #siblinglove

Christine has helped see me through a really tough time in my life. She was calm, caring - and funny. She made sure that I didn't get shuffled off to other PTs, keeping me to herself. I thanked her today for her care and she simply said, "I love my job." What could be better than that! Hats off to all my relatives and friends who are Physical Therapists. Our nieces Karen, Annette, and our friend Stormy - the work you do is so important to those of us in need!

Karen - a recently scanned pic from a special day
Another recently scanned pic from a Gsmith Christmas - Annette & fam
Stormy - wedding pic
 
Now the work is up to me!

No comments: