Sunday, November 16, 2014

Yimka, Lycra, Big Buck

I joined the Yimka today. What? You don't know what that is?

If you were a friend of mine in college you might. It's part of my college lore. I was serving as lifeguard at Beyer Hall on the Iowa State University campus one Friday evening. Beyer was the big pool on campus back then and was busy. My responsibility was the shallow end - and lane one was, I'll say - ethnic. All nationalities were jammed into the shallow end, swimming with young children in various stages of dress.

Beyer Pool ISU
I was sitting there lifeguarding my ass off when a young Asian woman approached me with a question. "Where can I take sweeeming lessons?" It was a bit hard to understand her, but I caught on. I began to list places she could learn to swim. Being a Red Cross girl (thank you Betty Lou and Nancy Pellett) of course I mentioned that organization. And my roomie Sally Rodgers had worked for the City of Ames. The woman said, "what about the yimka?" Hmmm, what is this yimka thing I asked myself. Finally it came to me...YMCA! And ever since then - the Y has also been know as the Yimka to me and my pals.

Now that I'm feeling better it's time to start working out again. Last year I belonged to the Healthy Living Center YMCA in WDM and today I ponied up for that joint again. I planned to start slow and just walk today but when I walked through the door I knew I had to get into the water. It's like a siren to me - calling!

Good thing I took my swim suit along. Bad thing it's tight and Lycra! Sports bras and Speedo swim suits are like straight jackets for girls with wounded wings. I'm glad I selected a locker room bay that was empty besides myself for my gyrations. It was worth it! I didn't swim laps - instead utilizing the warm exercise pool with dumbells (tools not people). I showered, put on my other stuff and walked a mile later. It was good to be back. The shoulder is complaining a little - but not howling like it was a month ago.

Paul had a very good weekend! He took a very good buck deer on Saturday. The deer was a very formidable opponent and we give thanks for the majesty he brought to the timber. The meat will go to the HUSH program to feed the hungry as we already are using the meat from the doe he shot earlier. Paul respects his foe and enjoys the hunt so much. He spends countless hours in his tree stands and scouting areas to hunt. This is hunting as it should be. Congrats to my honey!


No comments: