Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Water therapy Reminded of Sally's Pool

I always go to water - in good times and bad. Water is my happy place, my solace, my cure. Perhaps is started long ago with amniotic fluid - or maybe it was the Country Club swimming pool. My grandfather, Wallace Bullock, was the first person hit the water in that pool. I doubt he ever got in again, but he made sure to be first. I think he was on the committee.

And Pat Bullock certainly kept the rest of us in the H2O ever after that. I've written about my escapades as a lifeguard and on Atlantic's Swim Team. I'm comfortable in water. I float! #notasinker

When it comes to rehabbing my shoulder and getting back in shape, water exercise just makes sense. Warmth, resistance, and my mecca - all the best for me. I was exercising in the warm water Thursday night...and the Wayback machine drove by. No...I didn't see those pods like the movie Cocoon.
Sally Rodgers - probably age 12ish. Post braids

The Wellness YMCA keep  the water warm - much like the water at a pool I spent much of my childhood in. One owned by the Rodgers family - Wayne and Anna Day, parents of my pal Sally. Last night I pre-occupied my self with thoughts of the Rodgers' house and pool as I put myself through water aerobics paces.

When you're the third child your parents don't really notice when you're gone. Sal was the youngest in her fam - bit spoiled, really. She'd invite me to spend the night - and sometimes I'd be there all weekend. I guess I was an easy kid to have around hanging out playing board games, throwing snowballs and in the summer - swimming in the oval in-ground pool in the backyard.

One of the adults had to be available to "guard" us. (I be Marci loved that!) We spent hours in that thing - until we were wrinkled like prunes. Last night I thought about how we'd compete - seeing how far we could swim without taking a breath. We do backflips off the little diving board and practice flip turns for swim team endlessly.

Sally and I would pretend to be members of synchronized swim team - though that was left better to our friend Candice and others more graceful in the water. I think my sinking leg move was awesome though...in the privacy of Sal's backyard...

One birthday (she's a Leo - August) Sal held a pool party with boys and I broke out my very first bikini there. It was a far cry from the Atlantic Swim Team Speedo I was used to. #meethethegirls
I was blessed to spend so much time with Sally and the Rodgers. Anna Day was a peach and I got to know Wayne more later when I got a horse and he was my mentor. They were special people.

In the meantime - last night I did jumping jacks, cross country and various other under water exercises. Today - my shoulder feels good. And my mind feels good thanks to all those happy memories. See....therapy works.