Sunday, November 23, 2014

Magic 8-Ball/Steam Bath

One of my favorite authors this past couple years has been William Kent Krueger and his Cork O'Connor series of books set in northern Minnesota. That character, Cork, is a former sheriff solving mysteries with Catholicism and Indian faith thrown in.

Cork has American Indian relatives and friends. I especially enjoy reading about American Indian spirituality. There is a recurring character who is type of medicine man. When there is a most difficult problem - they do a "sweat" and heat up rocks - one rock is called "Old Grandfather" for a sweat lodge. The sweat causes them to have visions or dreams that help them have the grace to go through the hardship they're going through.

I think about this as I sit in the steam room at the Healthy Living YMCA after working out. Recovering from an illness is a spiritual experience for me. Before being diagnosed with Graves' Disease I wasn't sure I'd make it through what ever had me in its grips. That was partly the illness working on me - anxiety is one of the symptoms. Now that I've been diagnosed, I know that this illness is not curable, but is treatable - so I must get my mind around how I'll live well with it.

I've enjoyed having the steam room all to myself nearly every time I've used it this past week. It's dark - with the only light enters through the glass door. It's hot and steamy of course and periodically the "steamer" runs sending more delicious hot moist air into the room which is set up with two levels of tile benches.

I have started thinking of the "steamer" as my Magic 8 Ball. When I question something in my mind...if the steam starts - there's my answer! haha. No not really. But it is a therapeutic place.

Speaking of therapeutic, Judson David visited this weekend.  We didn't see much of Kara who was hanging out with college pals - fun times with longtime friends for her.

Jud went to the ISU game with us. We pre-gamed at Kari and Kevin's house before heading to the parking lot for a bit. I enjoyed meeting their son - he and Jud chatted. We saw Donnie and Marilyn and Dwight plus Phil. The weather was pretty darn nice for mid-November. Too bad the hapless Cyclones couldn't come through with the victory. It was like old times riding in the car with my boys - listening to their sports talk.

We enjoyed see Kara this a.m. before they headed back to St. Louis. Happy that they'll be with us at Christmas.

No comments: