Friday, October 31, 2014

Sundance Dad

My Dad, Dave Bullock, loved music. As Paul and I watched the 1969 movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" last night and the soundtrack played, I thought of him. Dad had that album because he loved Burt Bacharach. He played it on his Hi Fi system. "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" is a BJ Thomas song that even made it on the radio. I can just picture dad bopping around on the rug in our family room to the tune.

Regarding the movie. Though I enjoyed watching Newman and Redford, I found it somewhat slow moving. Is it because today's movies are different than older ones? I'm not sure. I need to watch some more classics. I did enjoy the music.

Dad was in charge of music at our house - before Susi became interested. He had an children's folk album by a group called the Limeliters. They were great. In a fit of nostalgia, I purchased their CD during one of my Music Buying Club frenzies in the 80's. Still loved it - and remembered many of the song words...though I hadn't heard them for nearly 40 years.
Limeliters Through Children's Eyes
(Amy and Jud will probably be tortured in the same way by music from Sharon, Lois and Bram's Elephant Show Music).

Dad wasn't Catholic - so Mom would take Susi, Cindy and me to church with our hats on (or doilies). It was pre-Vatican 2 don't you know). We'd come home to find Dad dancing with Betsy - her feet on top of his size 11 narrows. That looked like much more fun than church.

He loved Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. And he had another album with jungle noises on it. Dad had the single, Hello Mother, Hello Father. "Take me back, I hate Grenada!" He liked my Elton John music too - I can picture him jiving around to "Honky Cat", listening on my headphones. Groovy guy.

I bet you didn't know that my father was a musician. He had bongo drums. He kept them in the closet under the stairs. I can't say I ever heard him bop on those babies though. After a trip to Mexico he also came back with a bumpy wooden fish and stick. I call it a zither. The man lingerie salesman suppressing his inner Chick Corea!

Watching the movie last night made me miss my daddy.
Dad and Mom dancing - Christmas - 1979?


No comments: