Thursday, October 23, 2014

What a Circus

The Ringling Brothers Circus was in Des Moines last week. I saw pictures of my grandparent pals on Facebook with their grandkids - smiling and enjoying themselves. It made me think back on my experience with circuses. (real ones - not my life)

When I was a youngster, the Atlantic Girl Scouts took me to see the Shrine Circus in Des Moines - the Big City! We had to hold onto a rope on our way into Vets Auditorium. I believe my friend Robbie Dob was also there in her little Brownie dress. Sure there were elephants and flying acrobats. My most exciting moment? Purchasing a little plastic "zip" gun. You pulled the trigger and it looked sparky at the barrel and went zing, zing, zing! I loved it.

When I was about 10, our family went to Florida a couple summers to visit my mom's parents who had retired to Dunedin, Florida from Cedar Rapids. Mom took us to see the Ringling Brothers Circus Museum in Sarasota. I don't remember much about it except it was big and interesting. I probably had a sloppy snow cone and cotton candy too.
Doesn't Paul look dapper with a sweater around his shoulders?

Then next circus I attended was years later. The Carson and Barnes Circus was making the rounds in Iowa. Dad ran right out and got tickets for our fam - but not for him. So we drove to Atlantic and attended the circus. The tents were pitched at the airport. Amazingly, it was good - not rinkydink as I was expecting. Amy and Jud enjoyed it too.

How about clown cars? I don't really like/appreciate clowns. They're creepy. When the kids were young there was a nun in Creston that would dress up as a clown. Nice try Sister JoAnn. Your heart was in the right place but...creepy. Clowns at circuses are creepy x10 or more...

May in the next couple decades I'll make it to another circus.



No comments: