Saturday, October 18, 2014

Punctured plans


We've been looking forward to visiting Jud and Kara in St. Louis for months. With their busy schedule - and ours, this weekend was it! The weekend for our mini-vaca in St. L.

Until karma had another idea.

If you're a regular reader or have seen me lately you know I've been struggling with health issues. I've been whining about it for a while. Fing frozen shoulder and recently diagnosed hyperthyroid with not-fun symptoms. Physical Therapy is proceeding for the shoulder. I'm happy to report that my shoulder scored a whopping 178 degrees Thursday. That's not temperature - it's more like angles. 180 is what a normal shoulder bends to if you're laying on a table. It takes lots of gyrating, faces, and noises for me to do it. My PT, Christine shakes it out after I stretch it up. I need to keep it stretchy!

The pain continues to be a problem. A constant these days. So I had the idea that I'd try something new. Acupuncture. I made an appointment Thursday night at a nearby clinic which will remain nameless. I received a pamphlet on the process and the doc - also a chiropractor explained what she'd be doing. She treated me differently than if she would have been treating me specifically for frozen shoulder. She was impressed with my range of motion. 178 mofo.
Poster in the acupuncture room my butt doesn't quite look like that

I selected ocean noises for my experience - waves crashing on the shore. I took off my shoes and socks. Very slim needles were inserted into:
the bottoms of each foot
2 in each ear
my forehead
the top of my head

Did it hurt when they went in? A little, not much. Of course I would have taken a pic of myself with a needle in my head, but I had them in my feet and couldn't get to my phone...damn! The doc left me in a dimly lit room with the ocean noises. I fell asleep! She came back in after about 15 minutes to twist the needles and left for another 10 or so. I felt a little "chi" or warmth from the insertion of the needles.

The doc said I should sleep well that night. I made an appointment for next week.

Early Friday morning I awoke (not unusual with the shoulder thing) with the beginnings of a migraine headache. I usually take my medicine and they go away. Not this one! I had flu-like symptoms to go with it - causing me to cancel my PT appointment and later to miss an important work meeting. I didn't have a fever - but had all the other stuff. Ick.

I still thought I might perk up so we could go to Jud's - but as the morning passed I realized that wasn't happening. I was bedridden with my little pal Odie laying by my side. The strange thing - as sick as I was - my shoulder didn't feel too bad...but my headache wouldn't totally go away.

We thought about going to Jud's today (Saturday) for an overnight trip, but he wasn't wild about us driving that far for one day. And even last evening I wasn't feeling the best. I texted him to say we'd probably better not come - right away he called. He was so understanding. I still feel so bad about not being able to go.  I'd heard so many good things about St. L. We have such a good time with J & K. I cried when I hung up - feeling like I let him down. I know - it's not logical, but that's what Moms are like, right?

My college roomie Vicki's daughter Kelli visited Denver recently - they pretended Vic and I were with them. Wish we were!
When we do go, I plan to be in much better health (shoulder pain be gone) so I can enjoy it much more. After the flu symptoms subsided, of course the shoulder started to hurt again. But it is slowly getting better. Did acupuncture cause my illness? I do not know. But I'm not going to risk it by getting it again.
Kara and Jud - they do so many fun activities!
 

Despite my whiny presently miserable condition, I still feel very blessed. Amy called Friday afternoon to see how I was. What a sweetie. Paul came home and took care of me - he even made me a milk shake. And then Jud (I'm sure Kara too) was so understanding about the messed up plans. Odie looks at me with those loving brown eyes and gives me a lick every once in a while. What a great fam. Won't it be fun to all be together in Vail this Christmas!



My honey has been patient with his patient...

No comments: