Saturday, January 12, 2013

Lincoln

After weeks of talking about it, Pablo and I finally made it to a movie! We chose Lincoln, because I cannot tell a lie - I have wanted to see that one since I read some of the reviews about Daniel Day Lewis's portrayal of the president. I wasn't disappointed!

I didn't realize that Sally Field (I remember Sally from her Sister Bertrille days - the Flying Nun. Loved that show as a young Catholic...our nuns wore habits back then, but no funny hats) had been cast as crazy Mary Todd Lincoln until the movie started. She did a masterful job of showing the president's wife to be on the edge of sanity - loving the president, yet driven wild by the sorrow and guilt of the loss of her son Willy. I loved the scene at the party, when she pulls herself together to greet guests, when she royally gives it to the Finance guy Tommy Lee Jones.

Director Steven Spielberg does a masterful job of showing the pressure on the president. Between the stress from family, the desire and drive to get the 13th amendment passed, the strategy of war and the sadness of the effect of war on the people, President Lincoln ages 10 years in a year.

Hmmm and I get stressed about garbage and recycling. I have had some other stuff going on these past few months too though...no wonder my hair has been falling out! I remember it doing this another time in my life after I'd had surgery. Sarah, my stylist says anaesthesia is hard on hair. And I had it twice in 2012 - Imelda my elbow tumor and then the shoulder manipulation. Add that to the stress of the move and illness and death of our beloved Bolder. I hope it snaps back soon - I can't deal with this limp crap on my head...

Back to the movie. Spielberg made me want to meet Lincoln! What a lovely father, boss, thoughtful man, and funny storyteller. Though sad, the movie had some chuckles. The ending was somewhat jubilant, followed by the inevitable - which was handled nicely. Damn you John Wilkes Booth!

The theater (Jordan Creek 20) was pretty full on a Friday night. Popcorn wasn't that great - made me miss the Creston Theater, where movies are $6 and popcorn is good. I did like the seats and pop holder though, with the cool sound system. Why, when one pays $10 for a movie, do we have to sit through a bunch of commercials before previews start?

No comments: