Sunday, January 20, 2013

The White Rose

Sheriff Bob Vogesser raises a cold one to us, right before he purchased a case of Michelob for us (I took my college pals there) to take with us - he even carried it out and put it in our trunk (he was the sheriff and didn't want us to get arrested...)

Another brand of beer we liked - back in the day, was Michelob. Remember that ad? Because tonight..tonight...let it be Michelob. Set to a catchy tune. Of course Dad called it Mickel Bob. He never called anything the right name.

I've written before in this blog about the very special pub we had in my hometown, Atlantic. It was called the White Rose. Dad remembered going there, so it must have been around a while. When I was drinking age, the proprietors - Armie and Erma (sorry - don't know their last name or if they were even married - but they must have been in their mid-70's by then) kept the little place open only until 9 P.M. so you had to go early. Our County Sheriff was a mainstay there. (see photo above)

It was so retro cool before retro was even cool! The pic on my previous blog post was from there - pink walls with green booths and a few round stools at the counter. I see from the pic there was a rack of magazines - grab a Playboy on your way home at 8:30 P.M. If one got to the White Rose at the right time, you got to see them feed the fish in the aquarium. Muy Excitingo! If you so desired, you could get a little glass cup to drink your beer from - nobody would think of stealing from Armie and Erma, but I knew people who purchased some. Wish I would have!

There were green curtains on the windows, so the joint wasn't too light. But there were pull string lights above the tables. I remember because one time someone at our table yelled out to Armie, who was tending bar, "Can I get a Lite?" (meaning beer). He shuffled over in his little zip front jump suit that he wore and pulled the chain to turn on the light above our booth. Um, no Armie - we meant a Lite beer...

My favorite thing at the White Rose was the rotating Hamms beer sign (yes, it's true, I have a sign obsession).
They have one of these at Hilife Lounge in Des Moines, but it's never lit up..

I could sit and watch it for long periods. Remember this was before any fancy digital stuff. The smoke and waterfall moved, and I always wondered just who was camping there.

When Paul and I were married, many people attending the wedding went to the White Rose right after the ceremony before the official reception started, while Pablo and I visited my grandpa who was in the hospital. I think they had a good time...I know one 15 year old daughter of our Wisconsin friends, the Hustons, drank a few too many brews. I guess Armie didn't check her I.D. too closely...

Of all the beer joints I've been to in the world, the White Rose has to be one of my all time favorites.

No comments: