Thursday, January 10, 2013

Go Soap!

I remember when my old pal Freddie Behr was just a youngster in the security biz at Iowa State University, he did a gig at Hilton Coliseum for the Amway Convention. He reported later that the huge group did chants like "Go Soap!" We laughed about it, and talked about the fact that Amway must be some kind of cult like Jim Jones's group.

I thought about that this week as I joined Costco (I mentioned this before, I know). We're in the cult! It costs $55 to join, which has always seemed like a lot. But when I saw the liquor prices, I decided we would save at least that much each year. Alkie cruds or thrifty...you make the call.

After I paid for the membership, I took my first walk through as a full fledged cultist, um I mean member. I picked up some decent vodka.

Martinis take a lot ya know. Plus I got what Cindo calls a "Big Girl" bottle of chardonnay. I took a photo of a big 'ol stack a Black Velvet. That's Iowa's fave whiskey ya'll. Donnie told me so. I sent him this pic.
Donnie's dream....
 I did buy some food too, so don't get the wrong idea. And a lamp for Jud's room. So there! I just didn't take pics of that stuff. Do you think people thought I was strange taking pics of the liquor at my new cult clubhouse?

It was date day for the Goldschmidts. Paul and I met for lunch - hitting City Bakery, a restaurant in the East Village between Grand and Locust on 5th Street. He had a sannie and homemade chips and I got the side salad - it's a perfect size with vinaigrette. After work, we were both in the mood for a drink - so I took him to Maverick. That's the new Sports Bar my new DB (Diamond Brooke) friends introduced me to. We had nachos and dirty martinis.

Then we stopped at the cult to pick up liquor for the weekend party we're attending in Creston. I got Fess Parker Chardonnay! Man I loved that guy as Danl Boone.

Can't wait to see my homegirls. And Odie is getting her nails trimmed and her anal glands expressed at Creston Vet Clinic - how fun will that be?? Then she's staying at Lila and Bill's puppy spa - they're so excited to see her, which warms my heart. Looking forward to it!

4 comments:

Mary MG said...

Did you know that you don't have to have a membership to buy alcohol at Costco or Sam's Club? Although I don't like Walmart, I buy most of my margarita supplies (tequila and triple sec) at Sam's. I've heard it is also true about prescription drugs (not needing a membership to purchase them).

lgold said...

How do you get in the door without the super secret password (card)?

Mary MG said...

I just say, "I'm here for the booze," and they let me pass. Once you get to the cashier they have to get a special card from a supervisor to scan. That allows the sale to go through. I think it is an Iowa law or something. I know the stores don't advertise that they do this.
If you want a cheaper way to get something, I'm your girl. :-)

Unknown said...

Les,
One of the things I've noticed as I enter "upper" middle age is that I leave the grocery store and while scanning my receipt notice that the alcohol portion of my bill is higher than the food portion! I am convinced that this is because we eat "less" food now than before, not that we drink "more" liquor than before....at least that is what I'm sticking with! And I think our friend Fred would agree with me!