Thursday, January 17, 2013

Dave Bullfrog Iowa Ambassador

Photo of Dad from a Jaycees function (thx to Ted Simpson for sharing) Isn't he a hunk!?! Dad not the porker
 
My father traveled the state of Iowa for something like 38 years. He was in ladie's underwear. That's what he told people - it always got a laugh. Dad was a sales representative for Lorraine Lingerie and later Cuddl Duds as well. He'd leave town on Monday with his samples, slips and robes hanging on hangers in the back seat of his car on a rod. The undies and half slips were in big bags in the trunk.

I probably had these "panties" as Dad called them. We got all the samples once he was done with them. I never bought a pair of panties until I was out of college. What a lucky girl!
We had a list of towns Dad was traveling to posted by the rotary dial (later push button) phone in the kitchen, with the hotel. He had a route - back then all the little mom and pop stores bought his wares, and they were his friends. He went everywhere - I think he hit all the towns - from Ackley to Zwingle. He got to know where the good food was too - he had a "pie" route. Anywhere we went, he knew someone - Dad was Iowa's ambassador spreading the love of who knows whom all around the state.

Now that I've reached the ripe old age of 55, I've lived in a few places in this great but smallish state - Atlantic, Osage, Creston and now West Des Moines. I'm turning into my father! My life's work the past fifteen years as trash diva has taken me to all corners of the state. I know a few people. Iowa really is a small world, after all.
Whiskey River - There is a beaver on the shelf...

Paul and I came to realize this before last night's Iowa State Men's basektball game. We headed to Ames early to meet some of his co-workers at Whiskey River a pub downtown we had never been to before. I know - hard to believe! One of the guys, Dana and his wife Mary (I know - hard to believe again, I remembered names of people I was just introduced to - and NO I didn't cheat and ask Paul) are from Marshalltown. Dana has the same position Paul had in Creston.

I started played the "do you know" game - I know Marshalltown peeps. First I chose Jay, the investment guy - friends with Dwight & Marilyn Conover. They supplied his last name - Merryman. Yes! That's him. We've met Jay and his wife (what's hername) several times as they're good Cyclone fans. Next I threw out Casee and Ben Veren (she's a Marshalltown cop and he's a sheriff, Casee is the daughter of Creston's Jeanne Piel and Sheriff Rick's daughter) - Dana and Mary knew who the Verens were. Finally went with my pal Pam Blake - recycling coordinator. Mary had heard of her because of publicity Pam does.

Of course we talked about other stuff too. I didn't monopolize the who conversation with the "game". But then out of no where, another connection appeared. We were discussing football tailgating locations - it's sad that tailgating season is 7+ months away. Dana mentioned that they tailgate in Tent #3. Who is the tent sponsor? Phoenix Recycling - owned by the Colosimo Brothers, Tony and Bobby.

 Bobby Colosimo is married to Dana's sister. I have known the Colosimo brothers since the early 80's, when they worked for their dad (and had a fondness for blow combs and TransAms) at C&C Produce in the East Village, and I worked for a grocery wholesaler traveling out of Osage. In my current life, I run across them in various trashy committees. Hmmm small world again. Bobby's wife and daughter joined us later - the daughter knows Paul's nephew Karl who teaches at Valley High School, where she's a senior.

Kevin Bacon anyone? Or should I say Dave Bullock...



No comments: