Thursday, January 3, 2013

Christmas Day

I hope I can remember this - it's been over a week ago already! I think I've killed some brain cells since then.

First I must tell you, my daughter back-handed me in our motel room Christmas Eve...It was my own fault! I was being cute. We were all very tired, though I'd only had one drink all night. She was sleeping with us at the Riverwalk Inn that night so Colby could stay at home after partying.

Amy popped into the bathroom and slipped into her jammies and brushed her teeth. Then she slipped into bed. Paul, who had imbibed more than one drink, changed next and tried to slip into bed. I asked, "Did you brush your teeth?" Sheepishly, he went back to take care of that chore. Then I popped my daily migraine meds into my mouth and took a sip of water walking  towards Amy, now tucked into her bed. Feeling smart and funny, I put my face too close to hers and started to ask, "Did you wash your face?" Like I was the night night police. Unfortunately Amy's not used to people invading her space when she's trying to sleep! She backhanded as a reflex (I think...) and I choked, nearly aspirating my meds while I laughed.
The children (they'll always be my babie) search for a tiny pickle ornament
Colby went all out and got Liv some Cheerios for Christmas (and nice earrings)

The next day, we arrived at Cindy's ready to open gifts. The kids had to find the pickle to see who got to open the first present. Liv, Colby's girlfriend won the prize. Cindy tried to cook breakfast goodies and be the present fairy, but eventually Amy took over. Once again, people were much too generous! I hope all were pleased with the gifts we got them (or they had proper gift receipts if not...). Amy, Jud, Kara and Paul left to ski Beaver Creek mid morning. So fortunate Aunt Cindo provides free lift coupons! She shouldn't even bother with gifts for them after that...$100+ worth. Colby planned to ski so he and Liv left soon too. That left Cindy and me to clean up a bit and we had a jigsaw puzzle to do. It was a nice chance for me to talk with my sis - to see how she is doing. Dang, it's F'n hard to lose your spouse.
 

That afternoon, after Paul and the kids got back, we went back to the Riverwalk for a bit, then it was time to go back to Cindy's. Odie was staying there in her kennel while we went to Pottorff's for supper. She feels safe there.

We took some leftover chicken wings and Cindy's halftime dip over to Bonnie and Eric's. They had deviled eggs - reminding me of my gran, Momo. She used to make them for Christmas too. Frank the wine rep was there and there was delightful chardonnay. Bonnie and Eric's son Byron wasn't there. He'd gone back to California to work at his internship with the LA Clippers as a trainer early that morning. The Sanders fam arrived and the kids all mingled - fun to see. Reeve is a frosh football player at a college in SW Colorado. Kelsey played soccer at NWMSU (Yes Maryville, MO) graduating when Jud did from ISU. Cute kids. Kelsey is now at Physical Therapy School - at Eastern Michigan I think.
Sanders Family. Mad I didn't get one of the Pottorffs!

The prime rib was fab as usual. We gotten to know Shaloy and Jim, Bonnie and Eric so well. I still don't know Frank the wine guy that well, but his wares are yummy! I love how they love my sis and Colby. And they loved Bolder. Kara isn't a big meat eater which was fine because Jim and Kelsey are vegetarians, so there are plenty of potatoes, bread and salad. Bonnie even made dessert.

At the end of the evening I was sad to say goodbye to everyone - including Cindy and Colby, because we were leaving early the next day. Good thing we're seeing them in April in Florida! Paul and Colby have plans to go fishing a couple times. Cindy and I will read and hang out by the pool.

It was a good Christmas. We missed Bolder. There is an empty spot where the big lug should be! Colby and Cindy are doing as well as can be expected. It sucks. They're survivors. We sure love 'em! And we were honored to be invited (or to invite ourselves) to be with them again this year.
My gift from Jud and Kara - so cute!

No comments: