Sunday, January 27, 2013

Book of Catholic

Awaiting the second act

Paul and I went to the musical "Book of Mormon" Thursday night - the decadent show's first night in Des Moines. My children had so very thoughtfully given me this ticket for my birthday, after Amy and I listened to the soundtrack. It was September when  headed west for my Homies get-together with high school friends. I rode with Amy from Winter Park Back to Boulder, and she had the soundtrack playing in her car. Loved it! She remembered that and the fact that I told her the show was coming to DSM. When my bday rolled around November 4 - score!
Paul with tenderloin, dirty martini

Paul and I planned a date for that night. We came home a bit early from work to let the pooch out and hang with her a while. Then we headed back downtown to have a drink and eat at our fave place from last year's stint of East Village living - The Standard. We parked on the bridge on Grand, to make for a quick getaway after the show. When you park in the ramp next to the Civic Center, it takes a while to get out of there post show.
My fish tacos, white bean soup, Lemondrop

Wow Thursday night was cold! My eyes were watering walking over to 3rd and near Court Avenue. Brrrr! A solo singer provided entertainment that night - not too loud but nice. We ordered drinks and Paul got the pork tenderloin, I was in the mood for fish tacos with white bean soup. Everything was good. For dessert - some kind of rich coffee/butterscotch martini with whipped cream. Yum.
Snagged this off Jeanne Westbrook Smith's Facebook - she attended Saturday - thumbs up!

Our seats for the show were in Row U - the kids (Amy) did a great job because they were great! Low enough to see faces and right near the middle. We didn't even need to use the binoculars we'd taken. Since I'd been listening to the soundtrack, I was familiar with all the songs - and was expecting the raunchy language. And I've watched South Park - so I know what the show writers are capable of. I hope nobody went into this production not expecting the bad language and bad taste. I didn't see anyone heading for the doors!

Yes, it makes fun of the Mormon religion. It was interesting to see the Mormon church advertising in the play booklet. It led me to ponder, "what if?" How would I feel if someone (these guys) did this on my religion - the Catholic Church? Of course, if you know me, you know I am not a staunch firm Catholic. But despite all odds - it's who I am. I believe there are a lot of good things that have come about from people of this faith.

Would I think an expletive-filled hilarious play about Catholicism was great fun? I believe that answer is yes. All religion is somewhat mysterious - it's a leap to have faith. Does it seem dis-ingenious to those of us who aren't Mormon to think that some of God's story occured right here in the United States? Does the stuff we believe seem more believable because it was longer ago and farther away? If you listen to the words of one song, you'll hear them say - maybe that's what God was going for.

It's a crazy world. I like to laugh. This musical certainly made me do that - lots and out loud. It was a fun night out with my boyfriend. Thanks to Amy and Jud for their thoughtful gift!

No comments: