Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Brownies Scouts had it right

I think I had a sash as a Brownie...we never had the vest thing...did have the knee socks though! My sis Susi is still active with Colorado GS, and niece Jordan works for the organization in Denver

In that song they taught me all those years ago, when we met in the Washington Elementary gym after school. We'd sing it in rounds.
Make new friends
But keep the old
One is silver
And the other's gold
 
Old friends like Robbie Dob, Theresa Faust and Cindy Peterson were in the group. Were you in that group Paula, was Chris? I don't recall. I earned lots of badges that my mom then had to sew onto my cool sash. One time we were doing some type of foot race and Robyn was determined to win - so much so that she forgot to stop when we got to the plate glass window. Her knee paid the price - and I think I saw her guts in there. Ick! That's when I knew I'd never be in healthcare. Thanks Robyn, for helping me on my path toward trash.
 
The past week reminds me of that old song, because I've been fortunate enough to get together with both old friends and new! My college pal and former roomie Jane Flack Conn contacted me last week about getting together with her for a margarita at Mi Mexico on Friday. Sounded delightful! While I've been around the area during the week for the past 4 years, Jane and I haven't seen each other nearly enough! She's busy with 3 kids still at home, though now her oldest is a senior - so they're growing up.
My pal Jane

 
Jane and I were first to arrive at the restaurant, which is off of University in Clive - near Chase Suites where Paul and I lived for a month until we could move into our new home.  Jane's friend Barb Thompson also met us, along with another friend, who I must admit I can't remember her name. (I suck at remembering names of people I'm introduced to...I need to take a class on that.) Let's call her Marg. Marg, Jane and I all ordered the special margarita - it comes in its own shaker. It's very good. Barb had a beer.
 
Later, Paul joined us and we ate there too. It was a hopping place and we were glad we got a table in the bar away from all the screaming kids near the front. It was fun catching up with old friends! Barb is originally from Pocahontas where my Creston friend Syd Hudek hails from, and Barb knows who our pals Don and Diana are too since they're from that neck of the woods. And I know all of Jane's fam so it's good to get an update on them, and to fill Jane in on our family. We need to do this more often. Next time we'll have to ask Mary Mormon to attend.
 
I spent the rest of the weekend with my best friend - Paul. We didn't do a whole lot. He hunted in Creston Friday (lunch with old friends for him that day too - Steve Crittenden and Jeff McFee) and Saturday a.m. we got lunch with lots of leftovers at Jethros Saturday.
 
My big accomplishments were cleaning Saturday morning and joining Costco Sunday. The Packers won  - so that made Pablo happy. I decided just beer and other liquor purchases would make the $55 fee worth it. Then the signer upper chick talked me into the American Express card. I hope I'm not sorry! I got some cheese, vodka, Corona, and a lamp. It all sounds yummy, no? I guess it's time to give Joan (My Waukee roomie) her ID card back. I had it temporarily from when I lived with her...but now I'm somebody! (not Joan).
 
Over the weekend, I got an email from Connie from Diamond Brooke our townhouse association, saying it was time for the women to get together. I guess ladies from the townhouses have been doing this for years, and I'm glad! So last night Mary Ann from down the street picked me up at 6 to go to Maverick's, a new sportsbar West of Jordan Creek Mall. Ten or so women met there, including Kathy, the woman who sold us our place. She just moved a couple blocks away and enjoys these get-togethers. She brought me a couple more keys!
Mavericks on another night - but they do have that many TVs
 
Mary Ann's husband is a former community college president, so of course they know the Crittendens. Since retiring, he's been doing stints teaching at colleges in Moline and Cicero, Illinois - so Mary Ann and he have lived in apartments in those towns until recently. She's really enjoyed it. I met Judy who lives across the street from us. I'd been admiring the basket on her door.
 
It was nice talking to Kathy too. She and her husband Bill moved from this place because they're adopting their granddaughters. Their mother is ill, and the father isn't in the picture. So they wanted the girls to have a real house to live in with their own upstairs bedrooms. The other Leslie was there - she lives down the street. She was a couple people down, so I didn't get to talk to her much. Connie, the email organizer of the event sat by me. She's very friendly and has a warm bubbly personality.  
 
Before I knew it, the place was getting taken over by young people there to watch the big game. It was time for us oldsters to clear out! We were seriously raising the average age of the joint.
 
I did pretty well with those Diamond Brooke ladies' names, huh!?! (of course I could be making all these names up or have them totally wrong and you'd never know...)
 
I heard from my little buddy Amy when I got home. I always enjoy talking to her and catching up on her busy life in Denver. The game turned out to be a bust - sad for my Uncle Bill, a Notre Dame fan. Let's hope his Broncos represent better this week.
 
 
 
  
 
   


No comments: