Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Hull of a gal


Marg Hull

We had our realtor and her partner daughter over last night for drinks. Vino, dip, shrimp, cheese and crackers. It was so nice to see them both! They even brought a gift, a cute tray with napkins - now we'll have to entertain even more. I thought I had cocktail napkins, but when it came time to set up my stuff, of course I couldn't find them. Except for the "It's my F'n Birthday" napkins from my celebration that my lil nieces at my Vail Birthday celebration. Didn't want to frighten poor Marg with those. Regardless of the lack of cool cocktail napkins, both women were very complimentary of our home.

Marg Hull is a great realtor - thorough and formidable, at least if you're a banker. She was recommended to us by one of my supervisors, Alex Moon, who just moved in 2012 too. Marg was our main agent. Holly, her daughter is a decorator by training, but serves as her partner. They work for First Realty. Marg is a "mature" lady and Holly told us last night that she is our age. Young! haha. Small world story - Holly told us her son Clayton lives in Denver and works near where Amy lives. Paul told Amy that last fall when we were still house shopping. When Amy and Kara were in Denver they all went to that restaurant and ended up meeting...you guessed it - Clayton!
Holly Craig - do you think she's talking to her mom?

We met Marg the first time on a nice September day at a Caribou Coffee on Ingersoll - that's Marg's home neighborhood. She drive a Lexus SUV that is a bit dented because she's not the best driver and Paul and I ducked and cringed out way around town as she drove! Marge showed us some places south and west of downtown that morning.We loved one house south of Park Street, north of the airport. You might have heard of the owner before - Nancy Sebring, she of school board affair fame. But I quickly decided I didn't have enough furniture or energy (to take care of the yard - get your mind out of the gutter) for that huge place.

Marg, Paul and I met Holly for lunch and headed west to Holly's stomping ground - West Des Moines, after that. One stop was this place, our present home, we all liked it. We had a few more dates with Marg. I spent a lot of time scouring the Internet - I knew every place in our price range (which was above Paul's...I think I make him nervous) in the area that was for sale. I'd send pics of places I was interested in seeing and Marg would set it up for us to go see them. One was a house out near Waukee that had ground source heat, like our home in Creston. That one had a urinal in the basement! That was a cop's house. Another had labels on the doors and a paper towel machine in the bathroom...hmmm what was going on there?

We found another townhouse we liked on 60th street, but not as well as this one. And we looked at a couple other houses built by Drake, the builder who built the home we liked out around 93rd Street. But the one we liked the best was a 2 bedroom - with a whole unfinished bedroom and no window coverings. Paul decided he could live in a place that did all the mowing and snow removal. (I think he really liked it when we had that big storm). Through all the viewings and discussion, Marg was very patient, and gave her input when asked - but she didn't insert herself into our big decision.

I hope I don't have to buy or sell another property to see Marg and Holly again. They are interesting and fun people!



No comments: