Friday, July 20, 2012

The next couple days in beautiful Oregon

Ah - the life of vacation. One could get used to it!
Paul played golf with Wayne, Susi, Sher and my niece Sarah and her friend Allison on Monday. Cindo and I walked on the beautiful beach with Ziggy and Kirby the wonder wieners. I wished Odie could have been there - but of course, she would have hated both of them! She's a kind of a bitch. Like her mommy...

They're full brothers from the same litter. Ziggy is the chunky one (or
big bones as I used to say about Moki)
We headed towards Frank and Joe, the two big rocks south of our beach home. It was quite refreshing out - breezy and low 60's I'd say. Quite different than the 100 degrees back home in Iowa. I love talking to my sissies while walking - the time and the miles go quickly. I had fun trying out my new camera.
And they didn't even plan to coordinate outfits...
See the starfish peeking out from the water?

When my sisters and I get together it's pretty much non-stop talking. We don't tend to talk on the phone a great deal in between seeing each other. I'm not much for phone conversations. We email updates. But when we're together - watch out! Our kids love to sit and listen to the stories.

Bolder with Paul Kohan
When we got back from the walk Bolder, Cindy's husband and Paul Betso's oldest (one of the twins) son were ready to head to the "town" part of Cannon Beach for some Clam Chowder. Paul drove us in his new Mazda 3. Much to his parent's delight, Paul has a job! He's a proud graduate of the tough Computer Science program at the University of Washington in Seattle. He'll be working for White Pages, helping online clients get the information they're looking for. He was wined and dined by lots of employers before selecting that company. So if your child has computer aptitude - there are jobs!

It was fun hanging with Paul as a newly minted adult. We ate at what ended up being our go-to place The Driftwood. Decent Bloody Marys, the best chowder (according to chowder eaters), and good other soups, and really good prime rib sannies.

That night Betso made her famous pasta dish with heavy cream and Italian Sausage. We hung out at our house with its big kitchen, living room area. Cowgirl on bunny patrol was the entertainment. I didn't stay up too late though - still catching up for the night before and our long day of flying!

Paul Kohan went with Paul, Boldie, Cindo and me the next day too, on our trek to Seaside, the town just north, where we ate lunch at a new brew pub in an old jailhouse. The tangerine brew was good. Shopped at Safeway and selected a big chunk of salmon for grilling that night. Bolder is griller extraordinaire! He made some of it blackened and some just seasoned. Plus he did sweet corn on the grill. Paul G. was his helper. They spent each afternoon together at the "Raven" just up the street, chatting up the cute bartender chicks and having a few bevvies. They've become such buddies!

That afternoon I invited our cousins over to our place to visit a bit without the "mob". Cindo and I were the only ones home at the time of their visit. It was my cousin Steve Legarra and his wife Karen, along with their daughter Andra Speck and her husband Zach plus their triplets! Amelia, Abigail and Ethan - going on 4 years old. I read Andra's blog and am amazed at how much this fam does with a busy group like this. They all live in California - Andra and family in Rocklin and her parents not far from there. Steve is my Aunt Dorothy - my Mom's sister's son. We didn't know them well as the miles between Iowa and Cali were a barrier.

I'd gotten to meet Steve, Karen and Andra in October of 2010 when they trekked here tracking down genealogy information.
My Blog about our 2010 visit

I think she got marshmallow in her eyebrows...success!
I was happy to finally get a chance to meet the little guys! They're quite the characters and I was glad our CB home came complete with kid's books. They quite enjoyed those. I invited them to our Smores fest later that night! A new experience for the kiddos.
Cindy helps the triplets daddy supply smores


Nothing like a fire on the beach - we don't get this in Florida
These were a busy couple of days - just what the doctor ordered. Beach time, a few bevs, relatives, good food, and laughs galore. The environment is great!
 

No comments: