Saturday, July 7, 2012

On a lighter note


I spent an hour and a half in the dentist's chair yesterday! I know...most people don't enjoy that, but I was so happy to get in to see the dentist. I had called just after lunch and Jan, Dr. Dave Buck's receptionist said, "come down right now." The visit was a result of a zinger I got when I bit down on some food Monday night when I ate supper at Joan's. I was chewing on some frozen steamed concoction that wasn't even all that crunchy.

I haven't had dental problems for several years. I'm just used to periodic cleanings and X-Rays. I was forty (14 years ago) when one of my retained baby teeth (I had 4 of them), finally gave up. I told my parents the Tooth Fairy owed me a whole bunch. And Dave pulled that sucker and installed a Maryland Bridge. (Evidently Iowa doesn't have a dental appliance named after it) Yesterday I reminded Dave that I haven't pulled it out with Milk Duds in several years. (I did that one year kayaking with Deb on the upper end of the Upper Iowa. I smartly put it into a baggie for him to re-install). I was shocked and peeved that the week before Pablo and I head to Oregon for my fam reunion one of my teeth decided to take a dump. And I wasn't even sure which one. Friday morning drinking coffee, that heat really got me!

Lots of other people I know were burdened with being at the dentist Friday afternoon. Bob Snodgrass walked by, and Dan Miller was in having his crown adjusted. (The one in his mouth) I didn't learn this through any violation from HIPPA. I know Dan and saw him drinking shots of Tequila a couple weeks ago at the Lobby. He was in pain due to a broken tooth. He ended up spending some time with us, and we got to hear some "Dan" stories. He's a great storyteller! I love it when he commands in his deep bass voice to, "Group Up!" That's when we know we're going to hear a good one! Small towns - gotta love 'em.

Dave figured out which tooth it was, jacked me up with a couple shots of Novocaine. Then he peeled a filling out and found a break in my tooth. Shazaam! He did some patching and grinding. I feel very fortunate to have a dentist who would make time for me like that. A vaca would be pretty miserable with a bad tooth!

Tomorrow morning at 2 a.m. Paul and I are off to Cannon Beach, Oregon. Can't wait to see my sissies! 

No comments: