Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Kids are here! Betsy's Surprise 50th!

Wednesday was an exciting one, because the Goldsmith children were flying in that day. Paul played golf in the morning. Then we took off for Portland after lunch. We wanted to pick up a couple things at the shopping area near the airport - thank goodness Garmin showed us the way! Portland traffic is horrendous. As we started out in Cannon Beach it was 58 degrees and by the time we got to Portland it was around 90...but it was a dry heat.

I scored some new sandals at Marshall's - sparkly silver for Keith Peterson's upcoming wedding! Paul and I got to check out the IKEA store - a new experience for us. It's a Swedish discount shopping experience with furniture, other home supplies - even food. I got jube jel fish for Cindo and some gluten free chips for Amy.

Then it was time to head to the airport. Amy's flight was first, followed by Jud and Kara's a half hour later. All were on time, which was a relief! Hugs all around! The day stayed light nearly all the way back to Cannon Beach, even though it was around 10:30 p.m. by the time we got there. Bolder was the only one up - everyone had a beer then it was off to bed.

Paul is choosing
The next day was Cousin Breakfast Day! We had invited all the cousins to our place for a gathering before my Cali Cousins took off for the next leg of their trip. They were camping - I know...brave with triplets, huh!?! Susi and Sher had scored at a Farmer's Market in CB earlier in the week - they'd gotten Marianberries, blueberries and other great fruit. We got rolls at the delectable Cannon Beach Bakery - so hard to choose which thing to take home!
Susi, Andra, Leslie, Karen

In addition to the Cali Cousins, my Portland cuz, Leslie Morehead was there. She's my Mom's brother Herbert Leslie's daughter. I know - weird that my mom named her daughter the same name. And I have a niece Leslie. It's a great name! She's lived in Portland for many years - 40? And she and her hubby Bob bought a condo in Astoria just north of CB a couple years ago. She's really intelligent (must be a fam trait haha, and interesting). Leslie works as a consultant in computer software.

I was glad our children had a chance to talk to my cousins - after all they're the same generation as Andra. It's important to me that they have an idea where they came from. I'm sorry Amy and Jud didn't get to know my Mom much, since she died when they were so young. They have met Leslie M. a few times though, which is cool! We did a cousin photo before they left. Steve and Andra are bloggers too! I'm so glad the cousins made time to see us during our gathering.
Susi, Betsy, me, Cindy, Steve Legarra, Leslie Morehead
Susi overlooks cheese production
Cindy and I crash the cheese van
Then we were off to Tillamook to see the cheese factory and the Cape Meares to see the lighthouse. We've made this trek each time I've been here. It's pretty cheesy (yes that's a pun) but fun. I love factories and these folks do it right. I believe the gummi bear factory in Creston should do this - it would be a gold mine for everyone, especially the town of Creston! We took fam photos out front after chowing down ice cream.
The Kohan clan - Wayne is home with the doggies
The Goldsmiths with Kara
Cape Meares is so beautiful - but some knucklehead vandalized the lens of the lighthouse so we weren't able to go up in it as we had before. Kara, Jud, Paul and I walked up to see the Octopus tree too.



How would you like to see this mob walking towards you? On the way to the lighthouse...
Jud and Kara by flag along fence
Checking out the Octopus Tree
After we got back, we had lunch at Moe's - the restaurant right near our home. The Bloody Marys there were good - lots of olives, beans etc. in them! I had fish tacos, yum! Susi and Sher joined our family. It was fun to talk to Sher about writing - she's into journaling and has written the life story of a man who had a terminal illness. This blog is similar to journaling.

That night was burger night! We grilled at our place (by we I mean Bolder and Pablo). Cousin Leslie came back this time with her spousal unit Bob, who is retired from USDA Forest Service. He traveled all over the world in that position. It was another evening of beverages, food and good company.


Plus it was Betsy's Surprise 50th Birthday! Which is really August 27th (1 day before our 30th Anniversary). I think she would have been surprised had not my sissies been a little loose lipped the night before after champagne when we were in Portland picking up the cherubs. Bolder brought the Pope Hat along, and arranged for Sarah and friend to scatter flower petals. Susi carried an old medallion Mom had either given to her or she inherited - from England dated 1970. I had prepared a slide show, but was sad the music didn't come through (We Are Family!). It was fun. Welcome to 50 sis - it beats the alternative!


It made me very happy to have Amy and Jud there with us.

1 comment:

Andra said...

We had so much fun seeing you guys. The kids loved the smores on the beach, thanks for sending me the pics. I enjoyed meeting your kids too!