Thursday, July 19, 2012

PF Flyers


Me, Cindo, Susi, Bets - I think I evan stood differently due to the shoulder

When I was a kid, I thought new shoes had special powers. Perhaps that's why I love shoes so much today! Mom would take me to Brown's Shoe Fit for new tennies, and I'd get Keds or PF Flyers. When I'd get home, I just knew I could run faster and jump higher with them on. Like a super-hero!
PF Flyers

These last few weeks/months I've not felt like a super hero. Quite the opposite in fact...I have felt very much like each of my 54 years. Old. Elderly. And I don't like it! It's this damn shoulder...which started out feeling like a muscle pull, but progressed. By the time I went to the Doc, Sheryl Young, Nurse Practicioner, who sent me to Physical Therapy (PT). In my own mind I was convinced something was torn in my shoulder.

So when PT didn't help, I was depressed - using the arm less and less. I couldn't sleep due to pain at night - luckily I found Advil PM helped. But mornings were bad. The pain began to move down my arm. I went back to Sheryl who after X-Rays, referred me to a surgeon, Kary Schulte who diagnosed "Frozen Shoulder" or adhesive capsulitis. It doesn't sound bad - but believe me, pain 24/7 can get you down.

Unfortunately I couldn't get in to have Dr. Schulte manipulate my shoulder (crank on it to break the scar tissue that formed for some unknown reason) until July 18. So I waited it out through July 4 and then through my vacation in Oregon. I survived, but it was with a great deal of pain...and feeling old. Good thing I had my fam around to help distract me - more about that when I get a chance to write!

Yesterday Paul took me to DMOS - the surgical center at 6:15 a.m. for the procedure. The night before, thanks to Facebook, I learned that a couple people I knew - Mendy and Kara's Mom Renee had been through this procedure. So that helped ease my mind going in! They knocked me out for just long enough for Doc S to move my arm in ways it hadn't for quite some time. He said it popped 3 times! (Ick). He also shot it up with a steroid solution for pain, but it won't kick in for a day or so.

I woke up sitting in a recovery room chair. Severe pain under my shoulder blade - before I could help it, I started to cry. This got the nurse's attention very quickly and she brought me some Vicodin. Plus she put something into my IV. Crying is quite effective! I don't like doing it though. I feel I have a pretty high pain threshold, so it must have been bad. It took a few minutes but that took the edge off.

They wheeled me into the little room I started in and I put my pants on. I got instructions on going home. Then Paul came in and I finished dressing and talked to the doc briefly. Then off we went, stopping at HyVee for drugs. I was very sleepy and dozed on Joan's couch until nearly 1 while Paul ran errands.

Physical Therapy was at 3 PM down by my work. Paul loaded me into the car - though I was pretty alert by then. Angela was my therapist, a young compact woman. She was nice but instructions were to be aggressive so she had to force the arm at times. I told her to go for it, because I want this to work. I bought a pulley contraption to use at home to help with therapy, and got instructions for exercises to do. I'll be back at Penn Med for more sessions every day for 2 weeks.

So no running around with PF Flyers but I hope I'm soon back to regular workouts. My plan is to join a gym and get a personal trainer after I'm a bit more mended from this. The procedure hasn't gotten rid of my initial problem - my tendon in my shoulder is impinged. So I need to work that out. My arm is definitely sore today but I'm glad I can get it over my head!

My sis Cindo underwent partial knee replacement yesterday - her 2nd. She did the left leg in April. She texted that it was more painful than the first one. Yikes! Let's hope the Bullock girls are on the mend!



No comments: