Monday, December 26, 2011

Without words...

For the first time since I started this blog, I haven't felt wordy. Plus we've been traveling. And we'll be traveling again soon. So I apologize in advance for my lack of production in the blog department. I hope my two trips will rejuvenate my wordlyness. Yes, I know that's not really a word.

Christmas. The holiday that brings fear and dread to the hearts of many. I suppose I'm one of those people. Then I grit my teeth and dig into the season. I get through it by being gone. Thank goodness my sister Cindo invites us (or allows us to invite ourselves) to their Christmas, ever since Amy moved to Colorado. This year it was extra special since my brother-in-law Bolder is fighting cancer.

We headed out from our place about 8:30 a.m. on Thursday a.m. - a bit later than planned because a storm had hit in parts of Nebraska, eastern Colorado and Denver. We wanted to let the damn thing clear out. Jud was flying in to Denver early that morning. We were glad we waited as we spied a few vehicles in the ditches of central Nebraska. Then, as we approached Denver, the roads got a bit icy.

The Mile High City itself received ten inches of the white stuff. White Christmas! Denver doesn't believe in wasting money clearing side streets - like the one Amy lives on, when snow is going to melt in a couple days. How thrifty! Des Moines Public Works guru Bill Stowe wouldn't approve. We were glad our trusty Subaru was all wheel drive.

We headed straight to Amy's and took the kids and our niece Jordan (sis Susi's daughter) out for burgers. Walking in a winter wonderland! So fun to see everyone, and good to catch up with Jordie - she's now working for the Girl Scouts of Colorado. Amy described her exciting drive to pick Jud up at DIA, and Jud told how he drove Amy's car back to her place after dropping her off back at her office. Paul and I headed to Aunt Marty and Uncle Bill's after supper, for our Denver home away from home. It's always fun chatting with my dad's sister and spouse.


The next morning, Bill picked up Duffy Rolls - special rolls you can only get in Denver. So very good. We enjoyed trading stories with Marty and Bill. Then we were off to pick up Jud (taking him several Duffy's) for some errands. We stopped at Amy's former employer for some cheese for gifts. Then we went to my fave liquor store near her apartment - Argonaut. I loved this beer that I spied there.

After that it was lunch and a movie - "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". Very good - of course I loved the book too. Jud and Paul enjoyed the movie without having read the book.

That night, our family and Jordie, Marty and Bill all went to their daughter (my cousin) Amy's (yes we use names over and over again in my fam) house for supper. Amy's husband Tom and children Kate and Matt (they loved the deer sausage Paul brought) were there too. We had a wonderful time. I love having a chance to hang with my fam. Since I'm the only remaining Bullock living in Iowa, I don't get enough family time like that! All too soon it was time to retire for the night - after all we needed to head to Vail the next day. I hope we'll get to see them all again soon!



No comments: