Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Roll me away


Me with Pablo the Poolboy
Last night was a great night. For one thing it was date night for the roomies!
Billy and Joan
First we went out to eat at the restaurant located at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines. We met my roomie Joan there along with her husband Billy. (Bobbie and Jeff were supposed to attend, but Bobbie found out she was supposed to travel to Idaho, so Joanie jumped at the chance to get the tickets). The restaurant was convenient, but the food wasn't too great, besides the iced tea.

Then we attended the Bob Seger concert along with 12,000 of our best friends. Most were um, mature like us.  

I have a distinct memory of a Bob Seger song was from 1976 when I was a frosh coed at ISU. I was at a bar above the Cave In on Welch Avenue with friends - the quiet one bar on the right. The song "Night Moves" by Bob with the Silver Bullet Band came on. I listened to the words. (must have been mellow that night) Ah, that song - so telling, bringing back memories about the angst of one's teen years. You bet!

And since then...so many classic songs by the man. I have grown to love them. One of my fave CDs is Bob's Greatest Hits. 

In the early 1980's, when I lived in Omaha and Paul in Oakland, we decided the song "Turn the Page" - with the words "long and lonesome highway 40 miles east of Omaha", was about Oakland. Around then, the hit movie - star-maker for an unknown actor named Tom Cruise, made the song "Old Time Rock and Roll" a huge hit.  

These days, each winter...when the snow flies, or when works gets stressful and I feel like getting away, I put on my Best of Bob. The song I want to hear is "Roll Me Away". Because that's what I want to do - hop in my car, with my Pablo and roll away. To my happy place in Marco Island Florida.

 Paul was with me. Nearly every song Bob sang was like an old friend!

Last night I was in my happy place!

No comments: