Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Front of the line!

I knew it would be a good trip to Marco Island when my ID and boarding pass got the double beep at the Des Moines International Airport at the check station. I soon found out that meant I was on the good list - and didn't need to take off my shoes or have the whole body scan. Woohoo! That makes such a difference. Paul (aka the urban terrorist) wasn't so lucky...it must be that little Cy the Cyclone on his backpack...

Our Florida trip was perfect. Here are the highlights:
Mon and kid

  • Hanging with my sis Cindo and her son Colby - hailing from Vail, CO. They don't see much of each other during everyday life. Colbs is busy with his job as a manager of a Moe's Barbecue in Lionshead. He lives near there. Cindo works in Human Resources for Vail - the company that owns the ski resort and lots of other stuff. It's a mad, mad, mad world in Vail HR. People get fired for drug use, stealing stuff, their parents get involved - and there are people working there from all over the world.
  • Warm weather. It's been hell in Iowa this winter. Florida weather was heavenly. A bit windy but warm and sunny. Morning walks on the beach are part of what gets me through cold winter mornings.
Little Bar menu is handwritten - my faves: Blackened shrimp and grouper almondine

  • Our fave restaurants - there is something enjoyable about feeling like a local on vacation. Little Bar in Goodland, Crazy Flamingo for peel and eat shrimp, even the deli - Big Al's, where I get a Reuben. Good stuff.
  • Colby and Paul had fishing day on Monday - deep sea in the a.m. and inland in the p.m. Fun guy stuff.
  • A madcap night out in Key West for Cindy's 60th birthday. The four of us took a road trip there - it was a 4ish hour drive with a stop in Islamerada. We stayed in Key West at the Parrot Key Hotel and Resort Inn - a cool place with 4 pools! We didn't spend too much time there. 


  •  Key West is kind of a New Orleans surrounded by beautiful water, only reachable by bridges and boats. And it's cleaner. And has less music. But it's a crazy good time! I think Cindy's bday was pretty memorable. What I can remember.
smallest bar in Key West
Don't I look fab as a mermaid?
I thought this is so Key West!
Colby wheeling and dealing on hot sauce

  • The day we got back from Key West (Wednesday) was pretty low key. It was Cindy's real birthday. I'm afraid I just don't pop back like I used to.
The early a.m. showed us many different shells than usual

  • Colby went back to Colorado on Thursday. We took an early walk on the beach that day before heading to Fort Myers to shop briefly at the outlet mall. We were sad to see him go. Especially Pablo - no more guy talk and fishing...
  • The rest of the week was pretty quiet - beach, pool, drinks, dinner. Sun! Some of the people around the pool are the same ones who have been there in years past.
  • We went back to the Little Bar on Bolder's birthday - the 12th. It's hard to believe he's been gone for 2 birthdays already. We shed a tear. Miss that guy.
The Little Bar has a nut cracker collection - this is a biggie!

  • It's always hard to say goodbye to Marco and Cindo. But I was glad to say hello to my bed and dog. Odie had an accident while we were gone. She bent a couple toenails back and the sitter took her to the vet to get the nails removed. $200+ later...she needed pain drugs - poor baby. She let us know about it too!
Can't beat this beach

    Sad news upon our return. My Uncle Bill Lamm has had a setback and is now in hospice. He has pneumonia and was on a respirator. He just can't seem to get over the lung problem. I would appreciate your prayers for the Lamms as they go through this process with this wonderful man.
    Marty and Bill a few years ago with grandkids in Hawaii
     

No comments: