Monday, April 21, 2014

Mrs. Wohlenhaus and today's food nazis

The food Nazis are at it in schools across the nation. In some schools they crossed the line - they ditched chocolate milk! Gasp. I love chocolate milk. Read about it here: In Defense of Chocolate
Yep - when they took the good milk away, kids quit drinking milk and didn't eat as much. The stuff is golden!

I understand that we all need to eat better. Good nutrition is important. I would like to do a better job of meal planning and eating. Of course one needs to cook to make all that happen....

Whilst on vacation in sunny Florida, walking on the beach, my sister Cindy and I talked about how much we loved the food served for school lunch in Atlantic. With chocolate milk. My classmate Sarah Wohlenhaus's (she with pipes of gold) mother, Mrs. Lenora Wohlenhaus was in charge of foodservice in the Atlantic school system. She could have been a five star chef in my eyes. And stomach.
the pizza wasn't too bad...

Cindy and my favorite meals:
  • spaghetti made with macaroni noodles, complete with homemade rolls and honey butter
  • hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes
Paul overheard our discussion about school lunch - he was jealous. He said his aunt was in charge of lunch at his high school...(Dyersville Beckman) and it was awful. I guess she was no Mrs. Wohlenhaus.

We didn't have hot lunch in elementary school until I was in 6th - and that year they started bringing the food over from where they cooked it at the Junior High in big thermal containers. We 6th graders were recruited to assist in some of the lunch duties...and we got free meals for this. I don't think I ate there every week, but it was fun on occasion. The lunch room was the gym.

One memory I have was that butter and peanut butter sandwiches were handed out with every meal. Some kids then didn't eat them and they be on the trays to be scraped into the disposal. A kinda slow kid, Mark Moore, (today they'd call him learning disabled) to eat the extras right before they hit the disposal. Yech.

School lunch should be nutritious, yes, but it also need to be yummy! I think it can be both - otherwise we're talking about another topic that I can become passionate about - food waste. Don't get me started! Thanks Mrs. Wohlenhaus (may you rest in peace) for making sure our school lunch was delish! (except for those fish sticks...).

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Leslie,
I just stumbled on your post -- totally missed it earlier! Thanks for the kudos. It would have really made Mom happy. :)

Hope you are feeling better!
Best,
Sarah