Thursday, April 17, 2014

Water water everywhere - and a tip for you

At the Wallace Building today, the evidence of water - that ran in through the porous roof Sunday and Monday - was everywhere. But not a drop to drink - for a couple hours, anyway. Someone decided to cap off a pipe and forgot that hundreds of people work in the building - so water was off for a while with no notice this morning. As soon as I found out we had no water, I suddenly had the urge to tinkle...why is that? We always want what we can't have....

Meanwhile...we did get notice that a contract has been let on the roof. The patch job starts in late April. In the meantime this highly technical system remains in place.
You'd think they were recycling bins...but no - the blue bins and coffee container are rain catchers
 

servers protected from rain by an elaborate system - see the hose running to the gray tote, which...see below
I'm looking forward to the pounding the tar smells. It will be a huge improvement over the indoor rain! 
This hose drains - with sump pump) from the system above - appetizing, no? (picture courtesy of Tom Anderson, I didn't go into the men's room. He says they've monopolized the best stall.)
 
In other work news, I must tell you I was feeling the effects of  work "burnout" before I left on vacation. We've all felt it. I was finding it hard to concentrate and I was frustrated with my attitude and how I was getting along with others. I definitely needed a break.

My sister Cindy was just the person to vacation with - therapeutic you might say. Because she works in Human Relations she has valuable training in that area and she was able to give me a pointer that I feel will help me in the future. I have attended interpersonal communications training in the past - but this special idea has never before been suggested to me.

So when you utilize this - remember you heard it here first. If you find yourself in a tense situation at work. Say your supervisor aggressively approaches you about something and you find yourself reacting emotionally instead of rationally. Now you'll know what to do.

Kegel your asshole.

That's right - clench those buttocks muscles and suck that sphincter in! That's sure to take your mind right off any other emotions/anger building up. Now I'm passing this tip along to others at DNR - so when unfortunate things happen, like finding a pond where your cubicle is supposed to be - clench away.



No comments: