Monday, April 28, 2014

Honoring Bill

Uncle Bill, Christmas 2013
I hope to get a copy of the Eulogy my cousin Amy Lamm Brownlee's husband Tom gave at my Uncle Bill's funeral. It was perfect. And he delivered it well - it a heartfelt manner, but without blubbering as I most likely would have done. Though he did have to take a couple gulps from a bottle of water - to be expected when one speaks in an emotional situation like that one. Tom's been a part of this fam for over 20 years.

I arrived in Denver last Thursday on a Frontier flight from Des Moines. Frontier is picky about carry on luggage! So I ended up checking my bag - since I couldn't smoosh my suitcase into the sizer they have. My baby girl Amy and my sis Betso picked me up at DIA. Bets had arrived a few hours before me and the girls had lunch and shopped awaiting my arrival. I'm happy they had a chance to catch up with each other - comparing MLM notes. That stands for multiple level marketing. Since Amy is starting her own business, Betsy's experience (many years as a Longaberger sales rep) is more valuable advice.

We stopped at Amy's former workplace Marczyk's Gourmet Grocery, then went to Amy's place near 10th and Pennsylvania to freshen up. Later we stopped to pick up our cutie niece Jordie and headed to my cousin Amy's home in Centennial, a Denver suburb. The freeway was a parking lot, so we took backroads - which probably took just as long - but we had fun chatting. It was nice to arrive and see the family. And get those  hugs. The Lamms are such great people - love my aunties, cousins and their fams. Bill's sis Julie from St. Louis was there too.
David, Bruce, Amy, Martha and Tom
The next morning we met sister Cindy and her son Colby in the parking lot at the church for Bill's funeral mass. Bill was a founding member of the church - near their former home in Denver. Uncle Bruce and David's wife Lisa each did a reading. And Tom rocked that awesome eulogy. The minister's talk was about doors. He said life is full of doors - we all go through them all day long. But doors are an analogy for the stages of our lives too. And that last one - death is inevitable. We don't know what's on the other side of that last door...People of faith like Bill know that what is on the other side is better than anything on Earth...
John, Matt, Lauren and Kate - all very cute kids, all as close as siblings despite the Colorado to California split

There was a nice reception in the church hall after Mass. After people had a chance to greet the family, Aunt Jean and Uncle Bruce gave a short talk on their relationship with Bill. I'm sorry but my photo of them came out fuzzy. Then each of Marty and Bill's grand kids (David and wife Lisa have Lauren and John and Amy and Tom's children are Kate and Matt) each gave a short statement about their grandfather.

A beer at the Paramount
That afternoon Cindy, Colby, Betsy, Amy and I walked from Amy's place down to the Pavilion. We met Jordan and her girlfriend Jill for a beer at a pub there. We wandered around in that area for a while and eventually went to Colby's fave place Euclid Hall. We headed back to my cousin's place that evening where David's wife Lisa cooked up a mess of fab chicken. I enjoyed hearing Marty tell...well Marty stories about working as a docent at the Denver Art Museum for many years. She's a wonderful story teller and good artist too.
We met Jordie's gf Jill - nice!


I heard that in Bill's last days he told my cousin about the history of relations between Russia and Ukraine - he was well-read and informed. His sister Julie told about her memories of living on 38th Street in Des Moines - she and her sister had rheumatic fever and had to lay flat on their backs for months. Marty said she met Bill at a party and they ended up going to ski together in Aspen and other places. It was the begging of a beautiful relationship!
The Bullock girls - without our big sis Susi. Aunt Jean and Uncle Bruce Rader

Bill flew into Omaha the first time he met my grandparents and parents - and my dad was so nervous, worried Bill wouldn't like us. He must have ended up liking us okay - he married Marty after the meeting!

Betsy had to fly out Friday evening - she had other fam obligations in Reno, Nevada. Jordie graciously delivered her to the airport. Amy caddied Colby, Cindy and me back to her place for a slumber party - but we were all beat and hit the hay soon. We were up early though - Jelly called. It's my fave breakfast place in Denver.
Colby and Cindo headed back to Vail after breakfast
Amy and I had a nice day together Saturday. We were able to meet up with my Atlantic homie Julia Hoilien just off I-25 near REI and her husband Jeff Mason after their daughter's track meet. While we waited we shopped at REI and I snagged a new suitcase - one that could make it through the sizer at the Frontier gate. Boom - take that Frontier.

We met Jules and Jeff at a the Denver Beer Co. It was great catching up with those two - such interesting people. A month ago they took their daughters to an island off of Venezuela to scuba dive. How cool is that? Man I have neat pals.

They also are very interested in my life and Amy's too - Jeff and Amy had a long conversation about Amy's South/Central American trip last summer. They each took her biz card so they can refer people to her should the occasion arise. The beer was good and they were able to snag a bowl of crawfish and fixins from a food truck. Good time!

Amy and I shopped a little that evening and saw a chick flick. Sunday a.m. she dropped me off at the airport. I'll be back in a month - Paul and I have trekked to Colorado for Memorial Day for the past few years. The flight is only 1.5 hours and before I knew it I was hugging my honey - Pablo. Happy to be home.










No comments: