Thursday, April 3, 2014

Land of Misfit Coffee Pots and Trash Conference

Burl Ives isn't at my office to sing about it...(like he sings in the Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer Christmas Special about the misfit toys) but we have this coffee pot collection. Nobody knows where they all came from, but they've been around since I have - so at least for 5 years.
There is a cafeteria style Bunn-O-Matic on our floor - so these coffee makers are not used 
Today I didn't go to the office. It was the Iowa Society of Solid Waste Operations Spring Conference - held in conjunction with the Public Works Conference at the Sheraton in West Des Moines. I hauled the Bean Bag toss game and our booth material.
Check out the park bench we gave away. That's my Supervisor Jen manning the table
DNR sponsored Neal Bolton the "Landfill Whisperer" (I made this title up) as a speaker at the conference. The guy is a landfill efficiency expert - he studies how they do things and how they can do them better. Around landfill people were in this session. I know most of you can't imagine how intrigued trash folks are by your garbage and how to bury it.

Neal Bolton is not Michal's bro
I always enjoy hanging with the trash folks. We gave out nice water bottles to those who played the bag toss game. I got to see some of my pals I hadn't for a while too. As a benefit of DNR being a sponsor of the conference we got tickets for a free dinner at Rubes - a grill it yourself steakhouse just outside the west edge of town. Plus drink tickets.

The place was packed when we got there - those landfill and public works folks like to eat and drink! Pablo did a fine job on our small filets. I saw a few cuts of meat that would have made Fred Flintstone's car tip over...my friend Christine Richter was just fixing to eat one of those when we headed out. She was a chair of the conference and probably needed some sustenance like that...yum.
Pablo grills it up at Rube's
 

No comments: