Sunday, April 20, 2014

Across the state we go

Pablo and I are feeling it today. I bet Jud and Kara are too. The painful after-effects of moving from one third floor apartment to another. Yikes - we're getting too old for this! Next time maybe we'll suggest Task Rabbit or Two Guys and a Truck. Somebody under 55 years of age. We were glad to get to see their new place and be a part of this weekend with them. If not for our elderly bodies.

I always say moving is one of the most traumatic times in our lives - at least it has been in mine, ours. Every time Paul and I moved it was hard - even if the move was something we wanted.  Saying goodbye is difficult - to towns we've become familiar with and to friends and co-workers we are bound to lose touch with. Change is hard. But not necessarily bad.

Paul and I took off Friday afternoon to head to St. Joseph, Missouri where Jud has been living for the past 3 years - ever since he graduated from Iowa State University. At ISU he majored in Logistics and has been working for Altec, a company that assembles service vehicles, purchasing some of the components necessary to make them. Altec is a smaller company and there really was no room for promotion for Jud. So he was ready to move on. He applied for jobs in his career area online. One of those was at Boeing in St. Louis. He got the job! He started a week ago - he is doing defense purchasing - missile components.

Kara, Jud's girlfriend since his senior year of college, has been working for Cerner Corporation in Kansas City. I won't pretend to really know what she does - it's a medical software company. I think she is part of a team that helps train people to use the software - so she travels a great deal. Cerner has agreed to allow Kara to travel from St. Louis because she's good at what she does! So these two kiddos have decided to make this move to St. Louis together.

On Friday Paul and I drove through Creston on our way to St. Joe. Sharon and Al Higgins spied as we headed to check to cash at the bank. It still seems like home when we drive through - after 26 years there it's like riding a bike to drive through.
Jeannie McFee Gaffney with fam

We stopped at Chick-Fil-A when we arrived in St. Joe, When I came out of the restroom, Paul was chatting with a woman. I thought, "he sure made friends fast!" Then I realized it was Jeannie McFee Gaffney - my former roomie, Joanie McFee Bentley's sis. She was there with daughter Megan and her husband and their baby boy - on their way to Creston for Easter. Small world!

We then met Kara at the place where Jud had been bunking to load up his stuff. One of his co-workers has allowed him to room in their basement. He didn't have much there - bed, dresser and some clothes. The homeowners, a nice couple, helped load up the truck, then Paul, Kara and I headed to K.C. to Kara's place where Jud met us after fighting traffic from St. L to K.C. We loaded the truck until 10 p.m. In the a.m. we finished up and took off a little after 8 a.m. with Pablo driving the truck. I took a book on CD along to keep me entertained. Odie was along for the trip - she was absolutely no help.

Barnes Jewish Hospital

The trip took about 4.5 hours. The new 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment is in an area next to The Grove - a new/old neighborhood near Barnes Jewish Hospital. We started trotting stuff up 2 more flights of stairs - and down a long hallway. We did take time out for lunch downtown. The St. Louis Blues were just fixing to play hockey so we saw lots of folks in their garb. It was gorgeous out and I wished I could stay and look around! What a cool city. Alas we had more work to do - and the guys had big ticket items to carry. #Sherpa

Our goal was to return the truck and be done and head to Iowa by 5 p.m. We didn't miss it by much. Paul and I need a day at home! We wanted to go to Mass at our church this a.m. I'm going to Denver late next week for my Uncle Bill's funeral. Lots of travel.

We left Jud and Kara with lots of work to do - but everything was in their new place. My St. L. co-worker Scott gave me the best route to return from there to DSM - about 5.5 hours. We were beat!


It will be a nice quiet day today. We attended 7 a.m. The little dressed up children reminded me of Amy and Jud back in the day. There was a line of people already waiting for the next service when we left. During church I spent time thinking about all I'm thankful for - my cup overflows! Now - Facebook catch up awaits!
Can't wait to go back as a tourist!


No comments: