Sunday, November 11, 2012

Full of Thanks

Thank you to all the Veterans and actively serving troops. We can never thank you and your families enough for your service to our country.

Next - a shout out to my fabulous family. We are strong and loving. It never shows more than when one of us needs the support of the others - as when some 21 years ago, Baby Patrick was born and too soon, died. And now when our beloved Boldie is spending his last few days on earth.

Last Sunday, Paul and I drove to Colorado - stopping at Amy's in Denver when we got there. It was my birthday! The big double nickle. I recall when my dad turned 55 - he said he was turning the speed limit. Yay. Sister Betsy and Jud were each due at the airport about 4:30 p.m. so we picked them up and drove up in 2 cars - the gals in Amy's Honda Fit and Jud and Paul talking sports in our car. (I suggested they talk about their feelings and emotions, but I don't think that happened...)

When we got to Lefebvre's home in Edwards, Colorado - a mountain village just past Vail at 7:30ish. The Alvillar girls were already there - my sis Susan and her daughters. Bolder - prognosis BAD, was settled into his chair, tucked in with a blanket. Son Colby was there too. Friends had delivered fab food. My nieces, Leslie and Jordan - the lil cuties - had gotten me party hats and a badge for my birthday. The hats said something naughty - Susi was a bit embarrassed that her daughters had purchased them, until I reminded her I am a former landfill lady and have a bit of a potty mouth...The girls also got mustaches for all of us - in honor of their Uncle Boldie, who sports a great 'stache.

My kids (I'm guessing Amy) put me through a "follow the clues" to my birthday gift - tickets to Book of Mormon, when it comes to DSM. Can't wait to see it! My sissies purchased a couple cakes. Cindo's neighbor offered rooms in her home for the kids to stay in. Paul and I and Susi and the girls had hotel rooms - we headed there pretty early as everyone was beat. Betsy - our resident nurse (though she's a retired RN to concentrate on her true love - selling Longaberger baskets) stayed in Lefebvre's spare room. Bolder's condition is worsening daily.

The next day we arrived back at their place in the a.m. to eat the quiches friend Eric Pottorff had baked ahead. Fab! Bets was able to attend a doctor's appointment with Cindo and Bold. It was as we feared - all blood counts were worsening. We were glad Bolder was able to go to the pub that night with us, before the kids headed back to Denver. Susi, Leslie and Jordan headed home from there, while Amy and Jud came back for yet another meal supplied by friends. Lasagne.

That was the hardest time for me - when the kids had to say goodbye to their Uncle Bold. Amy lived with their family when she was just out of college and worked at Beano's on the mountain. So she's kinda like their pretend daughter. And Jud has bonded with Bolder over sports - the guy wears ISU garb in our honor. So tears were shed when they left to head back to Denver. This is SO hard.

The next day Cindy, Bets and I went for pedicures. Paul hung out with Bolder at the house. We took care of some necessary business - tough stuff, but glad we were there for support. Then we stopped by Colby's work to say goodbye. By then Paul had driven Boldie to another pub to see his peeps. E-town, his regular hangout, was closed for cleaning. Paul said people were hugging him, and greeting him - he's so well-liked and obviously the news has gotten around. He was exhausted by the time he got home though. So that night - when it was time for us to leave, oddly it wasn't all that emotional. It was like we were all too spent at that point.

Bolder's brother Bret has been there since Thursday. It's a good thing because his health has diminished very quickly. He was able to go to E-town with his brother Thursday night - and it was packed and they toasted him. But that night was bad - he needed help changing clothes and showering. Since then he has needed oxygen and they brought in a hospital bed because he can't make it up the stairs to their room. Cindy says his breathing has grown very raspy. Bret had to leave today to go back to Massachusetts, so I hope the hospice nurses give her enough support with his care. I'm so very proud of my sister Cindy. She's been so strong through this, and I can't say enough about how much I admire her.

Cancer is ugly stuff. I hope and pray Bolder is not in pain. Though I know that mentally he was suffering when we were there - I cried with him as he lamented this illness stealing his life. The frustration that he wasn't able to do what he wanted. Cindy says he's so sad that he won't be around to watch his son get married and have children. That makes me tear up to think about. We will have to be sure to tell the little Colbinis about their grandpa - the legend of Bolder! Thank God for family.

No comments: