Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Help



It's been a trying week. When was the last time you moved? It's hard!

I have moved several times in my life. It gets harder every time! I packed up my 1977 Chevy Monza Hatchback in May 1980 and drove to my first job in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and moved into my 2nd floor apartment all by myself. It was furnished so I only had my TV - a 19 inch to get a hernia over.

Paul and some buddies helped me move to Omaha a year later. Betsy yelled at Nebraska Furniture Mart to get them to deliver my new bedroom furniture, table and chairs and gold corduroy sleeper sofa. So through the years I began to acquire more stuff. In 1982 when Paul and I were engaged, I moved to Counciltucky. I mean Council Bluffs. Our apartment was on the third floor in Sherwood Forest Complex on Littlejohn Circle. Thank goodness Paul had lots of strong friends, because by then my grandparents were moving into Heritage House - a retirement home. I got some of their furnitire - heavy well-made stuff! We bought pizza and beer for all movers.

The next move was courtesy of Paul's employer - the federal government, and Bekins in Griswold, Iowa. Paul had gotten a District Conservationist job in Osage, Iowa. It was 1984, and we used the same mover in November 1986 when we moved to Creston. While in Osage we'd acquired a crib a rocking chair and a few more odds and ends. We lived at 201 East Prairie until 1998, and then moved box by box to the new house on Port Road. Steve Crittenden brought his low-boy trailer for the big stuff. Again we bribed our helpers with pizza and beer - it doesn't seem like enough now...

During our time at our home in Creston on Port Road we went through a lot of furniture. When Dad passed away in late 2006, we ended up with some of his furniture when his condo sold. So there was a lot to move this time. The feds arranged for these movers and they were nothing if not thorough about wrapping stuff in paper - that newsprint type paper. Paul found a handful of paperclips wrapped up! The only thing that I've found that broke are two crystal water glasses. But that is a lot of boxes and unwrapping.

I arrived late Sunday night - back from Bolder's Memorial Service. Paul did a great job of getting all the stuff into our home and getting cable/Internet hooked up. But the place was a shambles! I could even find a cup for some coffee Monday morning. So the kitchen was job 1. It took all day to get stuff unwrapped and put away in those cupboards, drawers and shelves. I did my bathroom that night. So - 2 rooms done! But Tuesday and Wednesday I had to work.

Enter stage left - Amy Elizabeth Goldsmith. Actually she entered on Amtrak from Denver to Osceola. We took Odie to pick her up and we arrived just in time for the train! Odie was so excited to see Sissy (that's what she calls Amy). As soon as she got to the new place, Amy hit the ground running - she began unpacking, organizing and pushing us to put up pictures. It was just what we needed!
 
Dave, Barb, Carol, Mike gather around the food
 
We took a break to give Thanks at our niece Barb Archer and husband Mike's beautiful new home at the Echo Valley Golf Course near Norwalk. Their daughter Mandy is a cutie. Paul's sis Carol was there (Barb's Momma and the cook of the day) and sis Jean and husband Dave (our entertainment of the day). Food and family were just what we needed. The girls took a short walk after the meal, and Dave and Mike even played a few holes of golf - it was right before the cold weather moved in. Then it was back to unpacking and unboxing.

Amy was on a mission to get the dining area done, bathrooms set up and the bedrooms downstairs re-done. The colors are okay, but should be re-painted when we have time. Bobbie and Jeff arrived Friday to take us away to the ISU game. Since it was so cold we decided to tailgate at the brewpub on University. Amy got a bite with us there, before heading off to do battle with shopping crowds. We arrived just in time for the game - much to McKim's relief! Too bad the game didn't come out how we would have liked. We were bundled up and didn't suffer too much from the cold. Later that evening, Jud and Kara arrived from having their holiday with her fam in NW Iowa.
Donnie (behind in gray) tied Diana and me into our Snuggies...

Saturday, first Homemakers delivered the bedroom furniture bright and early. Then the mover guy came and got the boxes. Amy and I stopped at Goodwill. Then we went to Younkers and Kohls for Bed and Bath stuff. Paul was hunting. Kara and Jud sprang into action after a trip to Jordan Creek. They were awesome too - getting Jud's new room into shipshape and striking fear into Mediacom, who didn't have our downstairs TV online. The 2 bedrooms look so nice, and the family room and book shelf are clean and organized. I'm so grateful for my kids and Kara! Awww.

That night, Paul and I served our family Thanksgiving. Prime Rib, party potatoes and scalloped corn with fruit. Paul made a pumpkin pie and Amy had picked up some cheese cake. Did I mention how thankful I am that my kids came home and rescued us from weeks of picking through the boxes in their rooms? And trying to decorate? Warm fuzzy feeling in me. But I realized this a.m. I forgot the egg in the corn - damn that's why they tasted funny!

Amy's friends Rachelle and Jenna stopped by before the three former college roomies went out on the town. Always fun to see them. Love those girls, so fun to talk to them and hear them talk to each other. Jud and Kara slipped downstairs to challenge each other to Wii. I'm sure they had a dance-off. Paul and I were beat. We retired happy with our snoring wiener dog. Life is good on Cody.



1 comment:

Jenna said...

Loved your new house. It's beautiful!!