Sunday, November 11, 2012

Party at the Lobby

I'm served up like Turtle Soup Bob Berning used to serve in his Chef's hat

It's our last weekend as Crestonites. We're going through some stress right now. Our Bro-In-Law is dying. We are moving from the town we've lived in for many years - so there are lots of details to attend to. We are living in temporary quarters. Paul has started a new job and I am in charge of a 1 1/2 day workshop this coming week at work. Even are dog is feeling it. Pressure!

We talked about it on our way to Colorado last week. I was in the mood to be bitchy to Paul and I'm sure he felt the same. Ready to snap. You know how it is - when the going gets rough - take it out on your spouse. We talked it out - recognizing the number of stressers we have on us.  No big knock down drag out fights so far. The movers come tomorrow. They will pack everything and load stuff into the truck. It sure is nice that we don't have to pack. So that helps the stress level. I am packing my undies, as I don't wish to have guys I don't know pawing through my drawers...(or even guys I know).

A few weeks ago we decided we wanted to have a going away party before we leave town. So we asked Tim Gray owner of The Lobby - the newest bar downtown if we could have it in the new room attached to the bar. The Lobby is at the former Bernings. That was where our first realtor Betty Brown took us for lunch when we visited Creston on our househunting trip. Bob and Frieda Berning operated the restaurant and hotel - years later we'd get to know them pretty well. Back on that first day, Hollywood Susie was sitting in the Red Room, in the back of the restaurant. She was wearing her crocheted beer can hat. Quite a character! When I saw that hat, I knew this was going to be my kinda town!

Anyway - I digress. Tim said we could have a party in the new room. We could hire a DJ. No charge for the room, as long as we would invited people who would purchase liquor. Hmmm that might be arranged. I called up Billy O. the DJ/Karaoke guy and we were set for November 10th at 8 p.m. Last night - party time baby!

Joni and Bill
It's not easy to get up for a party when your heart is heavy. But my sister Cindy had urged me to have fun. And I know Bolder would be all for it. We have to live. It doesn't help them for the rest of us to be sad all the time. We got to the Lobby about 7:30 pm. Dan and Denise Miller were already there because they thought the party started at 7 p.m. Denis and Mendy Ritzman arrived shortly after we did. Then the rest of the folks started rolling in. I was pleased to see Nancy and Kenton Groth, and Barb and Steve Crittenden stopped by too. I was happy that our neighbors Joni and Bill Taylor attended. They have been so good to us through the years...watching the house, loaning Paul their truck.

Billy O and his wife set up the music and we all moved into the party room, which is attached to the regular bar through a large doorway - so everyone at the Lobby could enjoy the tunes. It was a good thing too, because there were some darn good singers in the crowd - great for karaoke! One was a surgical nurse - a young woman in her 20's who did a great Carrie Underwood. Amy's classmate Haley Walters was there - though she didn't perform her single (from Facebook) "Crushin" she did sing a Bonnie Raitt tune. Near the end of the evening, Deb and I sang backup for Dan Miller on "You Don't Call Me Darlin". He's great on that song!


I'm no lead singer - but Dan is! Deb and I back him up
Home girls lookin' good!
And we danced. Did I mention all my fave peeps were there. Besides the ones already mentioned - The homegirls and their fellas: Joan Weis, Patti Kralik (see I didn't call her Antisdel), Deb Peterson, Pat Moeller, Susan Weineheimer, Nancy Anthony, Bobbie McFee, Diana McKim. Man, how I'll miss them. I reminded them I must be invited to their holiday gathering. Let's hope they don't forget! Deb broke the dancing ice by requesting "Love Shack". I gots to dance to that song! 15 miles to the Love Shack! There were many favorites. One thing I found is that I'm not bad at line dancing when I've only had a couple beers. We finally dragged the guys out to dance when the song "Shout" was played. McKims really got in the spirit and flopped onto the floor on their backs. Too soon it was over.
We had fun dancing

I was tired though. And I knew I had underpants to pack today! My last day as a Crestonite. It's been a good run.

No comments: