Sunday, February 22, 2015

High Anxiety - you don't win

In 1977, on a break from our vigorous study Iowa State University schedule, Vicki, Jane and I went to see the Mel Brook's movie High Anxiety. In the movie, Mel sings a little song that has the refrain, "High Anxiety - you win", he chortled.

Oh how we laughed at that idea. Yes we had worries as college students.
  • What did I get on that test? (Back when they posted scores by Social Security Number in the hall outside the classroom)
  • What will I wear when we go out tonight and will the cute guy be there?
  • How will I get along with everyone on my dorm floor? (we had to call the girls next door on their dorm phone - to notify them that we could smell the pot they were smoking.) Of course we couldn't be as obvious as telling them that. Vicki came up with using a fake voice like an old neighbor lady - she dialed and said "Your dog's in our garden". Worked like a champ! They stuffed towels under their door...
  • Later, I worried about, gasp, getting a job. I didn't want to move back home to Atlantic and live with Mom and Dad.

Mad Magazine's Alfred E. Neuman
As you can see - there isn't all that much to worry about there. My health was good. My parents were footing the bill - and I didn't even question that, or understand how lucky I was. It was just the way my life was - back before the price of college became so outrageously expensive. My parents and Atlantic grandparents were alive. Some of my personality traits were set by then. I feel nervous about being on time for anything (thanks Dad). Unlike my friend Chris Deardorff - to whom time has always seems to be an abstract idea.

I lost my "I am bullet proof status" in my 20's. I think most of us do. I worried about the usual stuff. Work, family, relationships, health. But not obsessively.

That changed last summer. I remembered just how bad is was when I got together with a couple good friends last week - and told my story. Thanks to Julia and Christine (who is looking great in her last trimester of pregnancy) for allowing me to tell my Graves Disease story - which is therapeutic for me.

Last summer before my Graves Disease diagnosis, anxiety was running high - mostly about my symptoms.

Once I was diagnosed, a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Even though I still had the medical symptoms, much of the anxiety was gone. Oh I still have my quirks! I am becoming even more of an introvert than ever. It's a good thing I have vitamin Paul to ease my symptoms. I wish it were that easy for everyone with major anxiety.

I'm working on being healthy - that's the best way to fight GD, which is an auto-immune disease that attacks the thyroid, causing it to emit hormones throwing one's metabolism and stress hormones out of whack. I'm hoping a March blood test shows me to be heading toward remission. No matter what, I'll always have GD and will deal with symptoms. But hey - everyone is dealing with stuff. This is mine.

Thanks to my friends and fam for helping me through this. For listening to my story. If you need a listening ear for your story. Just ask. We all have one. Or two!

Speaking of stories, the Creston wrestler who collapsed at the state duel meet the week may be released from the hospital today. His heart stopped and he had to be shocked six times before he got to Mercy right across from Wells Fargo Arena where the match was held. It turns out he has Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome. You can look it up. It is something could have taken his life without quick action by those present.
Facebook photo of Tayler and 2 CHS finals wrestlers

I worked with Tayler's grandmother at Gits Manufacturing (she is a character!) and remember Tayler as a little guy running around when Jud played soccer with his older brother. Everyone is so pleased with the great outcome from this near tragedy! And the Panthers bounced back with a 2nd place finish at state. Proud of our former home community and their support of this family.



No comments: