Sunday, February 15, 2015

My funny Valentine week

Ah the quiet Sunday morning. Paul is visiting Lake of the Ozarks, helping our pal Don work on the McKim Lake Place. He and Diana purchased it a couple years ago and pretty much took it down to the studs and have steadily worked on making it into a great place to entertain friends from Des Moines. And others. The location is nice and it's going to be sweet when it's done!

Paul does something worky in the garage

Paul loves projects! It's one thing he truly misses at our place in West Des Moines, so when Don suggested this trip, he was chomping at the bit.

But lets start at the beginning of the week. I was in charge of a couple workshops Tuesday and Wednesday, involving our consultants from Ohio. I decided they needed to experience Jesse's Embers - a steakhouse that features wait staff that reminds me of the gals who used to work at the Country Club in Atlantic. Our waitress interacted with us, and the host greeted us warmly. While we were eating, I saw our realtor come in, and was able to say hello Marg and her daughter Holly. Marg was the one who introduced us to Jesse's Embers. It was a fun night talking to Cory and Tom about how we met our Valentines.
Cory and Tom
Wednesday we met Creston friends Deb and Larry Peterson for the Fleetwood Mac concert. The band was back - this time with Christine McVie! That band member wasn't with them when they were in Des Moines in 2013 and hadn't toured with them for many years. I enjoy many types of music and bands - but few bring back the memories of this one.
Concert goers

As I heard them begin to sing "Say that You Love Me" I thought back to the last time I heard them sing the song - 39 years ago. Yikes! Those numbers make me feel old in a way my mind doesn't accept. It was June of 1976. Paula, Chris and I attended Iowa Jam to see Kansas and Steely Dan and this band I hadn't really heard of - Fleetwood Mac was there too. I think we met Craig Both and Jeff Weppler there. It was really hot out, so by the time FM began to play we were heading out. I remember the strains of that song playing - and it stuck with me enough to make me want that album. A long love affair with the band began that day.
We weren't close - but the big screen helped
It was great to have the Christine McVie songs added into the repertoire of the group. Lindsey Buckingham is a fabulous guitarist and Mick Fleetwood rocks on drums. Some people don't like Stevie Nicks gravelly voice but I do - especially when she sings Landslide. I wish Christine would have sung the song Sarah. Good time - late night, but worth it.

Thursday night was ballroom dancing night for Paul and me. We are pretty good at rumba! At least in my view. That dancing is a good workout.

Paul took off early Friday to meet Don to head south to the lake. I had a work trip all day in southwest Iowa - Grand River, Sidney and Malvern. So binging on Netflix (Blacklist) was just what the doctor ordered.

The Cyclones had a home game Saturday. I invited Diana to use Paul's ticket - to watch the Cyclones handle West Virginia. After the game we met our friends Kari and Kevin and some others for a beer at Scheman. Then we headed to Whiskey River for supper - Kevin was our date! Laughter ensued. Fun times with those three friends.

I missed my Valentine but am enjoying the flowers he sent to my work on Thursday. And the chocolates I bought for him...

Today my friend Julia Hoilien is arriving to spend the night. She's been in the area visiting friends and she flies out tomorrow. I'm excited to see her and catch up! We'll begin plotting our next Class of '76 get together. Love goes out to all my family and friends. I don't say it enough to you all. I heart you!

No comments: