Saturday, February 28, 2015

Homegods

Yesterday I wrote a whiny blog about how it was so lonely running errands in the big city compared to back in Creston. I lamented about how I don't get to see familiar faces here.

Then I drove to Costco and saw Crestonians Denise Miller and her daughter Amanda Buck in the parking lot. Inside I ran into them in the clothing section and we had a chance to catch up. Amanda is Amy's age and the Miller's son Tyrell is Jud's age. Old home week! Then I was off to procure popcorn and probiotics. Amanda and husband Michael are expecting their second child in April and are building a house right by Gwen and Dave Buck's - their in-laws. Michael is practicing dentistry with his dad Dave.

Ha! Ha! The gods of fate laughed in my face. We'll keep you off balance they say. Go to the store in the big city? We'll toss in people you know....just for fun.

Later my friend and former college roomie Jane texted to let us know that she and friends were at Bar Louis - right in our neighborhood. We needed to talk about our Big 12 Tournament plans. That event is coming up in less than two weeks and we have tickets and hotel rooms with Jud heading over from St. Louis. So we headed over there for a cocktail and appetizers. It was a nice way to end the week.

As I gazed across the room at the hipster bar, sipping a Lemondrop martini, I noticed an Atlantic homegirl and her daughter at a table near us. Sandy Travis Raike - Class of '77 lives in West Des Moines and we've been Facebook friends for several years. A University of Iowa grad, she now also cheers for the good guys as her daughter was a Kappa at ISU and her son is a TKE - much to the delight of Roger Underwood.
I promised Sandy that the gals from our two classes would one day meet in DSM

It was a fun night hanging out with Jane, her sister Susan, Barb and another friend. Those Flack girls are just so pleasant and funny - yet easy to talk to about serious stuff. When we left the bar we noticed something funny.

It was fitting with my day. The HomeGods were smiling on me that day. Homies at Costco, a drink with a college homie and an Atlantic homie. Life is good.
I stood outside in 5 degree weather to snap this pic

No comments: