Friday, February 27, 2015

Exploding eyeballs and running errands

My sisters' eyeballs are exploding. No not really. But close! Cindy experienced a torn retina back in November and underwent surgery right after Thanksgiving. Susi discovered she had tears in both retinas and had surgery a few weeks ago.

Then Cindy's bad eye developed at cataract. When she and I discuss it - we always turn it into an old joke dad told where the punch line was a Cadillac vs. Rinkin Continental. Cindy had that procedure this week. That's no joke. She reported to me last night that the procedure went well. Yay.

I hear from my own eye doc (Dr. Don McKim) that these things are genetic. Dad had a detached retina I recall. So I imagine I've got something like this in my future. Yippy! My eyesight is lousy. Dr. Don likes to say that I have one bad eye and one really biffed up eye. So while I'm not looking forward to health problems, a cataract might end up working in my favor in the eyesight department. So I've got that going for me!

Here's to my sissies returning to good eye health!
Me and sissies - from last summer in Cannon Beach

I'm running errands today. I started pondering - my life has sure changed since we moved here to the big city from Creston a couple years ago. Where errand running was simple.

In Creston I could stop at the scrap book store - located in the restored Post Office. And I could get some engraving done at the same time. Nearby at the quilt store I could take care of clothing alterations. The staff there would pin and mark the item as I "styled it". The actual seamstress picked up the article up at the Quilt Store to transport it back to the town of Orient to her husband's welding shop where she works magic with her sewing machine.
Maple Street Memories - at the former post office

A block away I could swing through Family Shoe Store to check for any hidden gems in the Bargain Basement. If I forgot my purse - no problem! My spouse could stop by later and pay. They know us there. On my way home, I could stop at Farm & Home - operated by our neighbors. It's a place where a person can buy fashionable jeans, bolts, kitchen utensils, lawn chemicals, a toy and a greeting card all on the same trip. One stop shop!

You get the picture. Creston isn't just like the big city. Today I'm on my way to Costco. I might stop by DSW or Trader Joe's. But nobody there will say, "Hi Leslie! How are your kids?"

I like living in the big city. But sometimes I miss that small town.

Paul and I graduated from Ballroom Dance class last night. Maybe...graduated is too strong a word. We're done with class. ChaCha was the last dance we learned. We did pretty well at that one!
Is that relief detected on Paul's face?




No comments: